• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL20 and FL12

redhooks

I'm planning on getting a new vex for this winter and am shopping around. Looks like theFL12 does not have a zoom feature? Also wondering about the internal battery,can an extra batt be hooked up if your winter camping for a couple days and the main batt dies?

redhooks

I had the fl 12 and it does not have the zoom. I ended up selling it to get a marcum lx-5 because zoom is nice to have and so is the dual cone angles. I miss the display of the 12 but that is about it. You could swap out the battery if you have an extra. Some people use a longer life battery to run LED lights and the vex in a portable.

I'd go with the FL20 over the 12. The 20 has the bottom zoom at either 6 or 12 feet.

You can change it on the ultrapack, but not sure how easy it is. The pro packs battery can be changed out pretty easy. If you are camping a couple days, more than likely you won't have to change it out/recharge. I recommend the 12 degree transducer.

If you want to save some money the FL-18 is a rock solid unit.

The FL-20 is the way to go for solid performance in my eye. Go for the duel beam straight off, it is worth it.

The 9 amp battery will run days on a full charge. But if you wish to have extra power I recommend you opt for the FL-20 in the Pro Pack configuration.

That way where the tackle box storage is you can add a second 7 or 9 amp battery as a back-up or for running lights. It fits in there perfectly. Add a strip of Velcro to the battery and the the Pro-Pack and it will stay firmly in place.

Another tip is add a 12 Volt accessory receptical to your Pro Pack case. That way you can charge cell phones, cameras...whatever you wish in the field. A very handy tweak for about $6.

Get the weatherproof style with the watertight spring latch door and mount it opposite the LED power meter on the Vex case so it is accessible inside the soft pack if you so chose to use one.

Never thought of doing the 12v receptical on my Vex .... great idea Ed. I'll be looking at pimping mine out this winter.

With the way my H2Oc burns through batteries, I can plug the 12v adaptor into my Vex.

Bingo....I rigged up the first one for a guy whom had a H2O and was tired of it being dead when he needed it.

I also installed a RAM mount for his H2O. He added a second base for his truck so it swap's out in a twist. Pretty handy setup.

I have my Garmin Rhino 530 HCX rigged on my FL 20 Pro Pack. I really do not need to charge it that often as the ION battery pack runs for 22 hours steady on a charge, but now...I can charge on the go if I need to on long trips.

The new Vex LED flex light is a must have too. Either on the Vex, the shack as a pimp option, or in the boat..it is very flexible in it's aplications.

i got the fl 20 and the fl 12 and if you fish any kind of deep water the fl 20 is worth the money but if you only fish for sunfish or something then the 12 is just fine but most of the time i got both of them in the truck and i reach for the fl 20

7o10, Why not just use your FL20 for the sunny fishing? I assume it is because you are fishing shallow. Just run the 20 out of zoom mode.

I have an extra unit to my FL-20, only reason is so I don't have to give up the 20 when I am fishing with comeone that doesn't have a flasher. In the past I ended fishing blind while by partner used my flasher ... needless to say it sucked. So I upgraded to the 20 and kept my old vex for these situations.

The FL-20 is the way to go for solid performance in my eye. Go for the duel beam straight off, it is worth it.

The 9 amp battery will run days on a full charge. But if you wish to have extra power I recommend you opt for the FL-20 in the Pro Pack configuration.

That way where the tackle box storage is you can add a second 7 or 9 amp battery as a back-up or for running lights. It fits in there perfectly. Add a strip of Velcro to the battery and the the Pro-Pack and it will stay firmly in place.

Another tip is add a 12 Volt accessory receptical to your Pro Pack case. That way you can charge cell phones, cameras...whatever you wish in the field. A very handy tweak for about $6.

Get the weatherproof style with the watertight spring latch door and mount it opposite the LED power meter on the Vex case so it is accessible inside the soft pack if you so chose to use one.

That 12v receptacle can also power an electric fillet knife, for those who are so inclined...

Hi Guys- lots of great ideas,thanks for the posts- I bought an FL20 ultra w/ dual tranducer refurbished from the factory- I saved a few bucks doing so and got an extended warranty for 4 yrs and a soft case. After reading these posts maybe i should have gotten the pro pack but either way it's going to be a fun winter chasing lakers and I'm going to tinker around and see what kind of mods i can do to pimp it out. Bring on the ice!

redhooks

Congrats on the purchase. You'll have fun with your new tool. If you really wanted to go with the propack, my guess is that they would not have a problem with exchanging and refunding the difference.

One thing you will want to do when you get it is follow the instruction to confirm the transducer is hanging straight before using it out on the ice. They explain the simple fix if it is not. This is important because you will have problems with getting good readings if it is not straight.