• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Efficient rod arrangement on your boat

BassProAddict

Now I know most of us have several (is that a huge understatement or what?) rods in our garage.I myself have, oh let's just say, "more than 10".I don't bring them all when I go out though.I normally bring 5-6.It lessens my impatience on a particular lure and rod setup and in the end I get better faster at specific techniques.

On my day on a lake, I'd normally bring 6.I arrange it such that 3 rods are on my left and 3 on my right.I used to arrange it such that left are spinning gear and right are baitcasting gear.

I modified that recently and started with putting 3 short range setups on my left and 3 long range setups on my right.

How do you guys arrange your gear on the boat?

If I go out in my boat alone, I bring 6 with me on a bass trip. Muskies, I bring three, two of which are heavy bass gear and one certified muskie stick. I typically put the crankin stick, the jig/pig rod, and the soft plastic jerk bait rod on the right side. I have the finesse plastic, lipless crankin, and drop shot rods on the left. I modified my 14' lund to have rod tubes through the front bench and removed the middle bench to make it more roomy and easier to fish from. I try to keep it clean, but always end up with a couple out and ready to go at a moments notice.

BPA- I probably am not normal... SO take this for what its worth. I have a Bass Cat Puma(20'boat). It has a rod organizer on one side that can hold 9 rods, and then 4-5 can fit underneath the tubes, on the other side of the boat I use a product called Rod Slicks, this keeps them from getting tangled. I keep at least 10-12 rods on that side organizer. So in my boat right now I have at least 20 rods... I keep what I call the "starters" in the 9 tube organizer, and then leave the rest in the rod slicks and use as needed. I do my darndest to keep less than 3 rods on the deck if fishing with a friend, however when I am fishing alone, I have rods laying all over.

Like I said, I have 9 tubes that I put the "starters" in... Those rods change from lake to lake and day to day depending on weather. Most days, 2 drop shot, 1 dock rod, 2 jigs pig, 1 stupid rig, 1 spinnerbait, 1 crankbait.

I had a tournament the other day though and had 4 crankbait, 1 jig pig, 1 roller rock, 3 dock rods.

So, like I said, it changes.

I try not to have more than four or five rods out at a time. I riggem' and lay the buts on the deck with the tips propped up behind the console. I'm right handed so I usually fish off the port side of my boat. This keeps all the rods I'm not using behind me, so the deck is clear and there are no rods at my feet to step on or get in the way while I'm landing a fish. If I want to change all I have to do is turn around and grab the next set-up.

This is a great question... For bass fishing I do the following:

I keep 12 rods in the boat at all times.... Usually 6 on deck and six in the rod box... What's on deck really depends on the lake and pattern that I have going expecially if I have pre-fished before a tourney... (Just getting back into tourney fishing after being away from MN for 20+ years) Really looking forward to next year.

I am for the most part a deep water guy except in the spring and late fall. I also live in Nisswa and fish lots of clear water lakes up this way...

Here is my normal on deck set up for lakes like Gull, Round, the Whitefish Chainb, etc...

4 Bait casters and 2 spinning rods unless I plan on fishing docks where I will have 3 of each...

Bait casters:

2 jig rods normally with one crawdad color and one purple.

1 crank bait rod for deep cranking on break edges/searching

1 spinner bait rod

Spinning rod set ups:

1 drop shotting

1 small jig/plastic bait rod

I always have my other 6 rods ready to go in my rod box.

In the box:

Scum frog on bait caster

Lizzard on spinning rod

Another drop shot on spinning rod

Lipless crank bait on bait caster

Spinning rod set up for docks with tube, worm, etc.

Bait caster with large spinner bait opposite color of one on deck... either white or yellow, etc...

I fish from a Ranger 620VS and fish walleye in the spring and fall and my set up changes to some degree since I do fish live bait at those times but I also continue to fish bass also... Usually 4 of my rods are set up for walleye fishing at those times....

Again, great question...

This really is a terrific forum with lots of good advice...

Thanks guys for sharing!!!!

Joel

I thought this was important as efficiency is integral both for tournament anglers and weekend anglers.

A lot of us here are also gear guys and I never want to have to face the shock of stepping on a Loomis rod just coz I had one too many on the floor.