• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Take lots of pictures

HugoBox

This isn't intended to be a "preachy" post, but I'd encourage you to take lots of pictures of your buds while you're on the water. BoxMN and I lost our Dad last week and looking back through 20+ years of fishing and hunting pictures was one good part of an otherwise crappy week. It didn't matter if it was a big fish or a rusty minnow bucket he hauled up from the lake bottom they helped us out a bit.

I also got back on the water after not fishing for a couple weeks and am wondering who hid all the muskies - tried WBL for 4 hours Saturday evening and the only thing I got was a dude on a Ski-Doo! smile

Take care - erik

Erik, sorry to hear and very good advice.

I found the only two muskies in WBL on Saturday morning, sorry you'll have to wait till I tell them to bite again! Lemme know when we're headin' out. :-D

-Jeff

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my mother in december pics are priceless!! Talk to your dad he will put you on that 50"!!! I talk 2 my mom all the time when fishing she usually lets everyone else in the boat have the fun her way of being funny I guess.

Very sorry to hear of you and your family's loss. It is never easy to go through that, it is good that the photos could help. I remember every second of the last time I took my grandpa Dobbins fishing many years ago, didn't have a camera with me, but I can see every detail in my mind.

By the way, on Saturday evening, my buddy hooked into one on WBL and it shook off a couple seconds later. He had one swipe at it on an 8 right at boatside as well but it missed. I think we probably heard you guys out there throwing blades about 11. Were you towards the south end kinda out in the middle part of the bay? There were two out there for a while and I could hear the blades smackin the water.

Erik,

I unfortunately traveled the same road as you and your brother have the last couple weeks myself last January, soon after the time I met your dad at the WBL Decoy's gatering as I recall. The best way I can express it is to simply say it sucks. Please pardon my simplicity, but that's honestly the best way to summarize the cards dealt. My thoughts go out to you, your brother, and the family.

Yes, pictures are an amazing cure-all and point of reflection, but as you said there cannot be enough.

"Preachy"....no, sound words of advice..."Yes". His alter picture was of a tanker Canada pike..... that image is priceless to me.

Yikes, I too now almost sound "preachy", but its not that at all. It's offering understanding to a fellow muskie chaser (foolish man!) that is looking to an avenue to express respect for those that have gone before us. Many of us can relate all to well.....

Regards, Chris

PS: Time to pay respect by chasing some silly fish is closing in!

You have my deepest sympathies. I know how it is to lose your father, especially when he was the one that taught you to fish and hunt. That is how it was with my dad. We lost him 6 years ago, and not a day goes by that I don't remember about him teaching me hunting or fishing.

Erik - my heart goes out to you. I just lost my dad on June 22 of this year, at 83 years of age. Fishing on Leech Lake was one of the things he still remembered vividly even after the Alzheimers took most every other memory.

The photos, and the memories are worth more than anything else. Treasure them, and pass them down through stories to your kids.

Char

Erik,

Sorry for your loss. I am blessed to still have both of my folks, but sometimes when my mind wanders, I find myself agonizing over the day when I will have to deal with this too.

You bring up a great subject, and that is photos. Many of you don't know it, but I also own a small-time photo lab up in the Brainerd/Baxter area. I have been involved in the ownership of this business for nearly 20 years, and a part of it is helping folks get pictures for viewings, funerals, and reunions. It is amazing to me the amount of people out there, who the best they can come up with is a polaroid or 110 snapshot of their dad from 20 years ago.

Like Erik said, take lots of photos. They, and the memories they represent are priceless.

I am Erik's brother. Thanks for the condolences everybody. Here is a picture we used on the memorial card. I think it sums up our Dad's attitude about the best of any photo, though it does not show a "trophy". It's pics like this, and the memories we have of many such trips, that kept us smiling.

IMG_8236_800x600.jpg

Thanks,