Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Grebe

A gas saving idea

3 posts in this topic

This may have been voiced in an earlier thread, but if so, I must have missed it?

I've got a good suggestion for saving alot of gas for alot of people.....and overall, alot of gas in general. Have you ever missed a turn on the freeway and had to drive like 10 miles down the road to find a place to turn around? I have on a few occassions.

There are plenty of turn arounds across the median, turn arounds that are used by the state patrol to whip around and get you, cause they seen that you have a deodorizer hanging from your rear view mirror.

Each has a sign with a big red "No u-Turns" and the same patrol car that was instrumental in the last paragraph, is hiding behind a clump of bushes just waiting for you to say, "To hey with it" and make that u-turn.

It doesn't matter which one you use, or when, or where you use it, he will be there...there is no getting around it. "Whats a matter son, can't ya read the big red sign that says, 'No U-Turns'? Let's see your license and registration boy...the fine on that is $3000.00 just in case you weren't aware of it!"

If they opened one up about half way down, for us without Tom Toms, for us that don't always know exactly to the inch where we are going, I think that would save alot of gas?

I believe the reason for not allowing the general public to use those U-Turns is safety. There are no approach lanes designed into the highway for them and this adds a potential for accidents. Also, on the Interstate system, I believe it is a design spec that no traffic will enter the highway onto the inside lane and this would violate that specification as well.

Bob

Bob, I figured there was something of that nature involved....but a designated half way turn around would still save gas? Maybe not, with the am-bell-ance comming out to pick up the accident victims, that would negate the savings. Oh well, back to the drawing board.