Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
picksbigwagon

Star Tribune Earth Friendly?????

26 posts in this topic

SO we are getting ready for school to start and switching our subsription to just saturday and sunday for the next 13 weeks. we are currently paying 27 bucks for 13 weeks for 7 days a week news paper delivery to switch to weekends only it is 34 bucks. 5 days less of newspaper delivery for 7 bucks more. My point is, the Star Tribune likes to write editorials about how big business is bad, how they champion the middle class (which we are in) and are for the environment. Guess what we would do with 5 days of unread newspaper? Recycle it.........It must be a Monday

i would tell them you are canceling altogether, they will

really deal then! we did that with the pioneer press..

randy

Their pricing structure rewards full-week subscribers, which helps keep their paid circulation numbers up. Advertising rates are based on circulation (the higher the circulation the higher the ad rate), so it's strictly a business decision.

With newspaper circulation flat or dropping nationwide, it's even more vital for them to find ways to stay profitable as a business.

Glad you recycle, picks. Since a lot of newsprint is recycled, they could be printing new news later on the same paper you dump in the recycle bin. gringrin

Sounds like another corporate giant putting profits ahead of the environment.

Yes and no. If you're not in business for profit then why? Each of us goes to work for profit, not because we just want to be there. I'd rather be fishing right now.

By coming to work I did a few things that were detrimental to the environment like drive my car. I guess I placed profit ahead of environment today too.

Unless the paper doesn't attract advertising the cost to the subscriber would have to increase considerably. Hence, the unbalanced difference in the subscription rate between 7-day vs 2-day.

Bob

Every business must first make a profit. Without profit, there would be no business. So by the very definition of business success, profit must come before the environment. That's just the hard reality of our society.

That being said, reuse, reduction and recycling of materials is so easy today that it costs companies little to do it. Consumption of some raw materials would drop significantly if the majority of people/companies in the world practiced the three Rs.

That's being environmentally responsible right there. It's a start, anyway.

Lighten up guys, evidently you don't read many of my posts. I took a shot at sarcasm, must have missed.

Gunflint, I didn't see any markers in language or graemlins to indicate sarcasm, so I just took it as a serious statement.

Sarcasm now noted. gringrin

Not trying to hijack here, but speaking of publications and waste of of resource/recycling/etc., what about them weenies that print the big fat telephone books on our doorstep and yours to, about once a month? In plastic bags no less. Given a choice, which it doesn't seem that we have, do we really need these big suckers in duplicate?

There can't be that many new phone numbers, or that many old phone numbers taken out of circulation that we need one of them big yellow 37 pounders every month? It may not be every month, but it sure seems like it?

Who pays for all those directories and why? Ultimately, I suppose it comes out of our pockets in the end....seems like a waste to me....just like some of the junk printed in the Trib! There, we'er back on course.

I suppose one could opt to no longer receive the phone book. If you have internet, as we do, we can find the numbers online anytime.

Bob

I would love to see a story on how much waste goes into those dang phone books. Mine never even come out of the plastic bag. Right from the front door step to the dumpster.

I think everyone would get by just fine without them.

Heck use the money saved to subsidize internet service or something.

Who pays for it? The people in the book pay for it. I think I remember hearing that there is an average of $25 million in revenue from each of the larger books.

I work for the Strib, so we get all kinds of fun information on competitors.

Happy B-day Hoggs222! smile

What a topic we have here grin

Recycling is a GOOD thing. I do it, you do it...... we all deserve a big pat on the back.

But....does anyone else get just a little tired of all the constant preachy environmentalism.

Can't get through an evening news cast without some blond news bimbo preaching.....Green this, green that.....Earth friendly...Eco-frendly....blah..blah...blah.

Come on... the last time I checked wood (paper) was still a renewable resource....

The forest industry employs foresters, loggers, truckers, paper plant emplyees......

Young aspen, regrowth provides critical habitat for grouse, woodcock, great for deer, snowshoe hare.....

Enjoy your news paper and if you dare.... use it to light a camp fire later.....we'll forgive you this time.

Hey, just recycle them!

Ours go straight to the recycling bin. I don't know the last time I've looked in an actual phone book.

I suppose one could opt to no longer receive the phone book. If you have internet, as we do, we can find the numbers online anytime.

Bob

That would be great if you could opt out of receiving them. From what I've seen, the people delivering them are just trying to unload as many of them as they can as fast as they can. I'm sure they get paid for what they hand out. I wonder if they'd even pay attention to if someone opted out.

They not only may get paid for what they hand out (don't know for sure about that), but the ad rate is probably based on how many are printed and distributed (not unlike how newspaper circulation drives newspaper ad rates). The producers of the phone books don't care whether you use them or not, only that they can tell the advertisers they print and hand out 750,000 (or whatever number).

does anyone else get just a little tired of all the constant preachy environmentalism.

yes.

Originally Posted By: walleye101
does anyone else get just a little tired of all the constant preachy environmentalism.

yes.

Thank you.

Hey,telephone directory delivery guys are people too!c63

Now don't get preachy, Chris, or some people might get tired of you. gringrin