• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear baits/ any hits

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn,

If you wanted me to make a mid week bait check for you let me know. I'm ATV-less, so I'd have to walk in. Let me know! I think this cooler weather will definitely help the bear hunters out!!!

Brian

bmc thanks for the offer. we will see what goes this weekend. ill be going thru dr about 1;30 2;30 am sat. if not much activity im thinking of waiting a few weeks. one bait had dogs at it. scared my son pretty good.

Glenn,

A deputy friend of mine has some buddies up from SW MN and their baits just started getting hammered in the last couple of days! They both sat tonight for the first time, but no luck. I'll be out working Fri night/Sat morning so I'll look for you coming through town.

Brian

well, that was a disappointing trip north. other than critters no bear hits. liks knuclehead said waiting now till later on. from what i am hearing noone in the area is having much success even having baits hit. such is life when it comes to hunting. just proves mother nature does take care of its critters.

Have had seven baits out since August 16. All but one were getting hit rugularly until last weekend. Now I only have two baits getting worked over. Trail camera's had been showing them coming in everynight, from just after shooting hours, all throughout the night. I hunted one bait on Saturday, tried a bacon burn with a honey pot. Came out and met someone else hunting 5-600 yards down the road from me. He said the bear was taking two 5 gallon pails of bait a night! Same time frame though. No luck for either of us! Also, I have gotten alot of pics of wolves on my baits this year. I wonder if this will keep the bears away?

Came out and met someone else hunting 5-600 yards down the road from me. He said the bear was taking two 5 gallon pails of bait a night! Same time frame though. No luck for either of us! Also, I have gotten alot of pics of wolves on my baits this year. I wonder if this will keep the bears away?

Wolves are eating your Bear Bait?

Not being nosey but where abouts are you hunting?

North of Two Harbors area?

Well the bait that we took a bear over has not been hit since Sat. night. I am going to move it a couple miles to a big nasty tamarack swamp. It is wet and very dark in there. Anyone else ever hunt Tamaracks for bears? What do you look for? I think I am going to try and find any berries growing in there and set up there. I will be baiting with trail mix mixed with molasses and donuts with grease on top of the logs and surrounding leaves/brush. Anyone else hunt this type of terrain?

BT, Up in Aitkin Co. the berries are all but gone and the nuts are on the ground. Tough to hunt deep in a swamp as the light runs out a half hour too early. I'd rather be able to see for that extra time and stick to the edges. I got bait on a high ridge top coming out of swamps, near berries and oaks and it's wiped out with a flattened trail coming up and going down. It's really gonna get good from here on out. I wonder if bear won't hit bait because they can smell blood or guts from a previous kill? Anyone......Anyone? Good Luck, Sakazulu

I wonder if bear won't hit bait because they can smell blood or guts from a previous kill? Anyone......Anyone? Good Luck, Sakazulu

We took four bear this year from two different stands. One had a gut pile not 10 feet from the bait. The stand I shot mine from was wiped out the next day after I shot one.

Got the bait out this morning. Lots of deer trails in the mud through the swamp. Trail came to a intersection of another trail and when I looked in the mud I found a set of bear tracks. Put the bait close to their. It is about 30 yards inside the tamarack swamp. Started to downpour when we were covering the bait. Hope the bait didn't get to wet. I am going to check it tomorrow to see if it did.