• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear baits/ any hits

How much bait do use if you need to take a 5 gal bucket in to freshen it up if was baited only a few hours earlier? Wouldn't it be best to have the hunter get in the stand with out disturbing the bait.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have always thought that too but we have had the best luck this way we have done it both ways. we always look to see how long the bears are taking to come in after we bait in the morning by looking at our trail cams. we use about two 5 gallon buckets full of food when the season is open in the morning and then when we drop them off send them in with a bucket with a couple pounds of dog food soaked in grease. and then after i hear the hunter hitting the bucket on the trees i wait about 2 minutes start the truck up and drive off, or ill go in with them and get them set and bait myself depends on the hunter.

iceman

I heard a baiting trick this weekend - I do not know if it works or not.

Take corn cobs that are bare. Create a mixture of powdered sugar, molasses and water. Let the cobs soak in the mixture and place on the ground. I guess the bear will stick around to lick the mixture without eating the cobs.

Ideas?

checked baits sat am 3 0f 8 got hit. rechecked sun am nothing. not to worried still early. doesnt seem to be much competition. heard of one other bear hunter other than the friendly guide and shes 5 miles away.

We checked Sat. and was 2 for 4 as previously reported. Checked today and 2 for 4 again with same ones being hit. Even got some claw marks on my grease tree. Not very big but al least got some clawing going on. Also fresh scat going on at this one. Only likes 2 of the 4 things we have in the bait so will bait more with that.

On the other bait we only have donuts out topped with grease. Have 2 seperate trails coming into the bait. The cover around the area has been matted down. This is where I had grease on underlying limbs and on the ground. Bears must be pawing or rolling around in the weeds/cover to get the scent. Kind of cool to see. Can't bait again until Thursday. Hope their still hanging around.

Fish to Win- Hunting the WMA this year? If so, any other hunters around you and how have your baits been doing? I never got drawn there last year and am hunting close to home this year.

Still batting 0 hits, This reminds of of two years ago when the berries an acorns were overloaded, I'm gonna slow up on baitting an just keep the area greased with a few goodies an bait every two to three days, it's hard to know what to do in this situation, pull out completly an wait till cooler temps or just nurse it along till I get hit? any suggestions? Boar

Biff-

I am hunting the MWA- I went opening bait weekend and ran into a party of 3 guys but none spoke english- I also ran into a nice guy named Wes the next week- The parking lot was full of other cars so I'm sure other guys are out there. I let my bait soak for a whole week and got some (smaller) bears on the camera- and LOTS of coons- It took 3 days for the first bear to come in and it came in at Noon- yes Noon- then 2pm and 3pm and 6pm so I hope these times keep up- I think they are coming in during light hours due to ME not setting a pattern- I only bait 1 time per week and looks like it is working- I just hope it continues-

Iceman- Dick did a good job in Finland last year but I did not want to spend the $$$ again- between the guide and hotel I spent over $1000 but maybe I will do it next year- Sorry to hear about the lack of hits- Get Leroy out there, he will find em. Good Luck- I'll be in Finland the last week in Sept. for cold beer at the Wildhurst and 4-wheelin-

he has been slacking, they just put new showers in the lodge and who ever put them in forgot to seal some pipes and its been leaking in the lodge for a while and they just found it, i guess ill have to give him some slack for not gettin out and baiting and cleaning up the water instead. my area has been like this year after year it takes a week or so to get them to come in. he said he was gonna go in today and check it and pull my camera. i am not worried yet. my other hot spot that i have had in years past its down a old logging road that is public and someone that thinks they own the public land around there cut a tree down blocked the road and put no tresspassing signs all around it. it took me a while to hook the chains up and move the big pile of logs across the road didnt get a chance to see how the area looks. i will be up there for a 4 or 5 day weekend around the weekend of the 19th for a good long hunt. good luck this year and maybe ill see ya in the lodge for a cold one.

iceman

When I had slow hits comming I found a whole seller that sold me some Fish Oil., pulled them in like a magnet. See if you can locate some of that. look in the yellow pages I think it was fish then whole sellers/ packageing

Good news is that I'm still getting hit every night but the bad news it's getting later and later- Hits are around 9-10pm. I hope that I get some other bears in to start some competion. Also hunting on public land sucks due to I see more and more activity in the woods and this will also make them nocturnal- Time will tell-

Cooler temps will help bring them in earlier. My baits are getting hit, but not as heavy as last season. They are regular and should keep getting better as time goes on. A couple of the sites are getting more activity earlier in the evening and a couple of sites are completely noctural. Got wolfs coming into to each bait site now as well. Hopefully the hunters will get their bears and be willing to sit and try to take them as well. A few are coming in during the daytime, but not on a regular schedule.

I havent been hit since wensday, all the berries up here are a month later than usual cause of the late spring, so it's all ripe right now so we'll see what happens in the next week or so, might be hunting late. Boar

Someof my baits were slower last week, butare going good now. The ones that were slow, my barrels were not tipped, but the trail cam proved that the bears will still coming in. They just weren't overly interested in feeding, licked up the grease and some of what was on the ground. So they still may have been in, hard to tell if you don't have a camera.

whent in today an still nothing, I loaded up the site an wont go in for a while, not sure if I'm gonna hunt the opener, might just go in on monday just to see whats going on but be prepared to hunt. The natural forage has got to be holding them, even if I'm hit by Monday,I just dont think thats enough constance hits to justify hunting a ghost, Just gonna abide my time, keep the site greased upevery few days or so with some goodies an be waiting when they are moving better. I guesse If I had my fridge stocked with all that makes me fat an sassy, Ive no need to eat out. What would you guys do, not looking for the magic ticket but would like youz guyzes opinion on the matter. Thanks an good luck to those that hunt Mon. an be safe. Boar

I've have 2 baits setup in the halma swamp since the 16th and nothing has been touched yet......i'm in the same area that i've hunted for 3 years now and this is a first. Kinda frustrating but I think and hope boar is right about all of the natural stuff being later.

Oh beleive me, I thought about that an have a jug og big paw to do a burn, but now my "For better or worse" vow has reared it's ugly head an my wife is pulling a double on Monday an school starts tuesday so who has to hold down the fort? Yep. So we'll see what transpires. Good luck to all. Boar

Talked to my buddy today and all sites have been hit. I will be talking to him later about what happened last night. I can't wait for tomorrow. Hey Boar, I have a small problem as well, my wife is due any day and I'll be a couple hours away. Like my buddy says, "you can't get em sittin on the couch." I'll update in a little bit.

Ya know I used to say that too, but now I say "If mamma aint happy, no ones happy" I hear ya guys but it's all part of my master plan. When I pay my dues I am duely rewarded. Good luck guys. Boar