• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

upper bunk & thermo windows questions

dabber

Hey

Working on my fish house. 2 questions: #1. I heard that there was a new upper wall fold down bed that was on the market. Any info where to look?

#2. Always had frost build up on my windows last year. Just changed from a ventless to a direct vent heater. Will this take care of the frost or do I need to get rid of my regular windows and spend $$$$ on the thermo panes?

thanks

I can't speak to the question about the bunk, hovever, I can give you an opinion on the window issue. I have a 6.5x12 fishouse that I custom built myself. I used a suburban forced air furnace that heats the house very well and evenly. I do still have problems with the windows icing up, so apparently the air movement from the furnace doesn't solve that problem. I used single pane vynal windows I got at menards. They look nice, they were cheap, and I do not have any issues with air leakage or opening and closing. Just the frost issue. Not a huge deal though for me. I'm not sure if thermo pane windows would remedy this problem or not. I've never been in a house that didnt have that problem though.

Changing from a ventless to a direct vent heater should have a big impact on frost build up. It probably won't eliminate the frost but it will be greatly diminished. An unvented heater puts a lot of moisture into the house.

I have a direct vent heater in my 6 1/2'x12' dropdown. I don't have insulated windows and have very little problem with frost on the windows. Normally I just open the curtains in the morning and wipe the windows with a towel when the little bit of frost that I have turns to water.. I have two 80mm computer fans up by the ceiling to keep the air moving. During the day when people are opening and closing the doors I don't get frost on the windows. It seems to appear during the night when everyone is sleeping and the doors are staying closed. I asked the person that built my icehouse why he doesn't use double pane windows and he said that the seals get ruined from traveling on the road and the companies that make them won't stand behind them when used in an icehouse. Maybe he is telling the truth and maybe he isn't, but I am satisfied with the windows that I have. Good luck on the ice.

dapper

I also have 6 1/2 by 16 wheelhouse & I have the forced air , I have the same cheap window's as the other guy's were saying, but I cut a piece of plexglass & put it on the out side of the window & it cleared it up, also caulk around the outside of the plex, with good grade slicone.

Crestliner has a good and inexpensive thermo insulation fix. My grandparents lived in an old farm house that had uninsulated windows. My grandfather did the same thing that crestliner did on the house windows, and it worked great. The only thing that he did different was when he put the Plexiglas on was around the edge of the glass he put a strip of thick doublestick tape to leave an air-gap between the plexiglas and the window.