• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Batboys

a47mlb

Does anyone know how the batboys for the Twins, or any other team for that matter, get those jobs?

When I watch the games at the dome, I always notice the kid that protects the Twins bullpen. Without being mean, it appears that the kid isn't the most athletic, or very coordinated. So I don't think he got the job on his abilities, or by winning a try-out. It leads me to believe that he must be a son, or relative of someone within the organization.

That wouldn't to bad of a summer gig for a kid. He/she would definitely have some stories.

I read that the bat boy that tackled that guy last year near homeplate was a 25 yr old guy. Former HS wrestler from Minnetonka, I think.

Yeah, sounds about right.

I know the dude with sideburns that sits by the Twins dugout is in his 20's, maybe graduated from college, I'm not sure.

I just found this quote from a different message board...

Quote:
"My friend is a bat boy for the Rangers here in Texas. He knows somebody that knows somebody. He told me that is the only way you can ever get there. Most of the other batboys are coaches/FO sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, etc. I think Punto and Everett should be the Twins new Batboys..."

If you check out Pat Neshek's web site in the forum section, there was a very nice, long post by one of the Twins bat boy's and how he got his job. IIRC it wasn't nepotism but by attending spring training (as a fan) and being a pest.

The goofy kid in the Twins bullpen is a son of one of the dug out coaches I beleive. I can't remember who's. Dick and Bert have made the comment a couple times during the games. I always wondered if that is a coaches kid...you think he (coach) questioned his effectivness? wink