• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting with glasses

Scott M

I wear contacts whenever I hunt, but as a matter of curiosity, has anyone ever had troubles with glasses when bowhunting?

The reason I ask is I'm wearing my glasses right now and if I tilt my head down about twenty degrees as if I was looking down at a deer from a treestand, the frames bisect my view. Maybe my glasses slide too much, but I don't think I could hunt with them on! Not to mention the fogging or troubles in rain.

What do you glasses-wearing hunters do? Ever run into troubles while bowhunting with glasses? (And this might help me if I ever forget my contacts, which I've done before!)

I can't say I've had any real troubles. Hunted in the rain a few times last year and if the rain is coming straight down my cap did its job. Looking at a floppy cap to keep the rain from running down my neck though. The rain doesn't bother me near as much as the lightning did last year. Got a little scary twice last year.

Rain and glasses isn't the best mix that's for sure.

My buddy had a camo half umbrella that wrapped around a tree and it worked great for him.

I'd stick with contacts if that's what you are comfy with.

I used to play basketball in high school. I never wore my glasses during games and yet I could always tell the score and time remaining. Late I'd go into the gym and look at the scoreboard with my glasses off and couldn't see anything. crazy I wonder if it would work like that while out hunting.

I wore glasses up until about 6 months ago. One of the things I was hoping to do is be able to hunt with fewer "glasses-related" issues such as fogging up or the fit with masks.

Everyone is different, and my contacts aren't as crisp as my glasses were. I'm slightly worried about that, but I will have to wait till its cold to try it. I certainly like not worrying about my glasses fogging up in the cold though.

If you are seeing threw your glasses differently from elevation than when you are shooting from the ground you are loosing your form. Your head neck and shoulders should not change position when shooting. Bend at the hips. Dont drop your bow shoulder/arm. I have shot with and without glasses and found that it showed changes in form very well.

Remember your form is the most important thing to accuracy. It is a good thing to practice this now as uposed to taking a bad shot later.

Your asking a very good question that most people over look. I wear glasses all the time and can't bring myself to putting contacts in just to hunt. Now is the time to really experiment with this in a stand before the season starts. Get up in a stand in your yard and shoot some arrows, work out the bugs and see if you have contact with your string. My form has been working for me an never have I made any contact with my string but the fogging issue only happens in late season or if I have walked along ways to my stand and I'm really hot. The trick I do for fogging is make sure to put my glasses out as far as possible on my nose and use a mask to breath down into my shirt or away from my glasses. Another trick is to use a snowmobile mask with the nose piece but haven't resorted to that yet. When in doubt I just take my hat off if I'm really fogging and let some of the heat out of my hat for awhile other than that I just make sure to direct my breathing down and away and it's been working pretty good for me.

Good luck,

mr

If you are seeing your glasses rim you are dropping your bow arm while shooting from the stand and NOT bending at the waist. You should see just what you see from the ground. In practice try aiming straight out while in your stand and then bend at the waist keeping your same form. Not always easy to do.

I agree with Gurkster. Your sight position through glasses should be very similar if you are flexing at the waist and not dropping your bow arm.

I wear glasses and the only problem I have had is fogging, but that is only for the first few minutes when I have just hiked in...