• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas gas gas?

dan z

We run non-oxy premium in all our sleds. My mechanic doesn't like to see any ethanol at all run in atv, smb, chainsaws, weed eaters, etc.

Everything is running good and never had any issues, they also seem to get better mileage with the better gas.

I run premium gas also and add a shot of 110oct motor is not stock so have to do it. I heard that e85 is high oct. but I never thought of all of the ethonal. doh doh doooh

I ran Premium in my 04 GSX 600 sdi. It fouled the plugs everytime it was rode. After asking some Q's on this forum, I was told to try reg 87 oct. fuel and it has run like a top ever since. Check your owners manual for recomendations.

E-85? Why would you want to? My wife's car can use it. The owners manual says you will get about a 30% reduction in mileage and that you need to fortify it with about a 50/50 e-85/gas mixture in cold weather to get it to start. No thanks you can have my share of the [PoorWordUsage].

E-85? Why would you want to? My wife's car can use it. The owners manual says you will get about a 30% reduction in mileage and that you need to fortify it with about a 50/50 e-85/gas mixture in cold weather to get it to start. No thanks you can have my share of the [PoorWordUsage].

LOL Mine too!!!!!

E-85 is really wonderful stuff from a high performance perspective, but not something you can just put into your tank an expect it to work. Because it is primarily (85%) ethanol, it has an octane rating of about 105. This allows an engine build to use high compression or loads of boost before detonation. You can use static compression up to 13:1 or greater. In the automotive world it is the fuel of choice for the horsepower shootouts these days.

Now, the down side is that as stated above you need about 30% more to get the same power out of the engine. That is because ethanol does not produce as much power per unit of volume as gasoline. In a carbureted application the ENTIRE fuel circuit needs to be modified to flow that much more fuel. Once you do that there is no going back to gasoline.

The bottom line is that while E-85 is a good option for a car that has a computer running the fuel system and is designed to use this fuel, there is no reason to try running it in a snowmobile that is not set up for strictly racing use.

I go through a lot of gas in my boat so I run mostly standard unleaded but I do however make sure that at least every 4th tank is premium and I run seafoam about 4 times a summer.

I also change my oil and lower unit out half way through the summer. I look at it as better safe than sorry because I do use my boat a lot.

That said I wont run E-85 in anything.

I know this doesn't answer your question but it is on topic I think.

I run the cheap 87 octane (I think that's 10-15% ethonal in MN) in my 2003 Polaris XCSP 600. It has a switch for premium and non-premium fuel, so I always run it in the non-premium mode.

I've been doing this for years and haven't noticed a difference in performance, top end, starting, or gas mileage.