• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trestle Bridges, Bridge Pilings and Bridge Debris Fences!

Shack

Found out last night they are illegal to anchor next to, in the area of or tie a boat of off, even on the back sides out of the main channel!

I was explained this to me by bridge operator last night. I questioned this rule, but short of having the Coast Guard or sheriff come down and prove me wrong, we just said thanks and went on to other area’s.

Anyone run into this before? What are the distances?

Bad part was, it was the area last weekend we got some fish, noted large bait fish in and around and good sonar findings while anchoring. Tossed out the lines and had to reel them back up.

I think I am going to make a call on Monday or an e-mail to find out what the rules are.

I will blame my self for not knowing the rule and I am thankful for just the nice warning (could have just called the Authorities), but goes to show how new things are learned even after years of trying to be the best you can on the river grin

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. So would this include the wooden R.R. bridge upstream from black dog? I've often thought it'd be a tricky situation to be in if that bridge is still used. eek

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. So would this include the wooden R.R. bridge upstream from black dog? I've often thought it'd be a tricky situation to be in if that bridge is still used. eek

Probably not.... My guess was Shack was fishing in P2 and there are a handful of bridges that would qualify in the descrip above.

Shack lay out some details.... this is the first of this I've heard. You must have been able to communicate through radio.

Sorry to hear about. I wouldn't rush to dig into details other than doing a search through the written regs......

Send me an email I can elaborate...

Larry,

I had planned on giving you an e-mail about this. I figured if anyone knew, you would. Also I hate to raise red flags if I do not have to.

In tradition of not giving out exact spots, my impression of what happened last night was any bridge pillar or surrounding structures on the Mississippi could be suspect to this. The site this occurred at, I was about 3’ from the debris fence protecting the bridge. I did not want to tie off of the fence, because I do not like my boat hitting fence. I do not carry my bumpers any more in the boat, seat cushions have worked in the past, but they get wet. I will add, this was one of the first times I have ever heard another source hail the bridge operator to move to another channel and minutes later, he came out and verbally talked with us. Most times everyone just chit chats on channel 16 and the hail to switch channels was quick and sounded official. When he came out, he said to an affect it was illegal to be next to or around (???) bridge pillars and fences. He said he did not care where we where, but just not by or around the bridge fence (he used another name though) and the adjacent pillars. I am just one of those ones who says “Yes Sir”, heads to another spots and goes “why did I not ask further questions”. Also, in the middle of the dark, you get a guy telling you that you are breaking the law (even thought he is just a bridge operator), the first thoughts in my mind where a couple hours of Coast Guard procedure and not fishing unless I moved. One of those situations you relive in your mind and think of ways I could of went about it different. Plus lack of sleep in the last 48 hours I am sure had a play in this also grin.

Hindsight worked two fold in this situation.

1) When a bridge operator is hailed to another channel, switch to that channel and hear what is going on.

2) If you have questions about what a bridge operator has told you, walks away, hail him to another channel and ask questions about the details behind his/hers demands.

It was one of those situations where we did not want to explore further in the area. We wanted to stright drop in the trough next to the fence. So we lifted anchor and headed a couple miles up stream and that is when I remembered about asking him more detailed questions over the radio.

I will send you an e-mail with further info.

Thanks

I've never heard that before. Let us know what you hear after your email Shack. I tied to a RR bridge on the River on Friday night. A guy at a marina told me they have had some cats out of there and you can tie right to the bridge. I did that and didn't have a problem, but it would be nice to know if it was illegal or not.