Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFallsRon

RIP - Just goes to show you, be careful on two wheels

9 posts in this topic

I was one of the first to come on a guy who had hit a deer several years ago south of Remer. We had pulled over to get fresh pops out of the cooler when he passed us. Twenty minutes later it was over for him. He was airlifted to St. Cloud where he died and left a young wife and 5-6 year old daughter.

Cass County authorities reported Friday that a Boy River man died after being thrown from his motorcycle after he apparently collided with a timber wolf.

The accident occurred at about 9 a.m. Friday on Cass County Road 4, about 2 miles east of Boy River.

The victim, Robert Tellstrom, 62, Boy River, was airlifted to a Duluth area hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities reported that the dead wolf was under the motorcycle when motorists discovered the crash.

It's beautiful riding up north, but the critters...man, the critters. Doesn't matter day or night. Sad deal. Helmet involved?

too bad. I just got done with a post on how much it was to borrow my friends bike for the day today and how I'd like to get another one, but this reminds me why I don't. very sad situation. we'll keep his family in our prayers.

1 killed, 1 injured in Baudette deer-motorcycle crash

Associated Press

Last update: August 25, 2008 - 9:04 AM

BAUDETTE, Minn. - A woman is dead and her husband injured after their motorcycle collided with a deer in northern Minnesota.

The Lake of the Woods County sheriff's office says 43-year-old Cherie Strohl of Baudette was a passenger on the motorcycle. She was killed in Friday night's accident on a county road near Baudette.

Her husband, 47-year-old Derry Strohl, was driving the motorcycle. He was taken to a Duluth hospital, where he was in critical condition Saturday.

___

Information from: KKWQ-FM, http://www.kq92.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just last evening I passed by a single motorcycle accident on Hwy 52 north of Cannon Falls. Authorities re-routed traffic, and it didn't look good.

MILWAUKEE - A crash between a motorcycle and horse-drawn buggy killed the motorcyclist and injured 11 Amish riders, mostly children, in a rural town in southern Wisconsin.

Three children were seriously injured, while the eight other buggy riders suffered non-life-threatening injuries, Lafayette County Sheriff Scott Pedley said Monday. He didn't have details on the children's injuries.

The crash happened about 6 p.m. Sunday when motorcyclist Joseph Hendrickson, 21, of Blue Mounds, missed a curve on Highway F near the entrance to Yellowstone Lake State Park.

The bike crossed the center line and hit the buggy traveling in the opposite direction. The collision killed Hendrickson, who was not wearing a helmet.

Two families, both of rural Darlington about 70 miles southwest of Madison, were in the buggy.

Jonas Miller, 45, his wife, Emma Miller, 44, and their daughter, Fanny Miller, 4, were taken to Memorial Hospital of Lafayette County with non-life-threatening injuries. A nurse said none of the three was there Monday afternoon.

The other family was a couple with six children under age 12.

Eli S. King, 46, was listed in good condition Monday afternoon at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison. His wife, Nancy King, 44, was discharged earlier that morning.

Christopher King, 12, Eli King, 7, and Nancy King, 4 months, who shares her mother's name, were taken to an unspecified Madison hospital for treatment for "severe" injuries, Pedley said. A spokeswoman for the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics said Monday afternoon she didn't know whether the three children were there.

A spokeswoman for another area hospital also couldn't immediately say whether the children were there.

The Kings' three other children, whom the sheriff estimated were between the ages of 3 and 5, had minor injuries that didn't require hospital care. He didn't know their names.

One of the two horses pulling the buggy had to be destroyed.

Pedley said the Amish population in Lafayette County, which has about 16,000 residents on the Illinois border, has been growing for years and now numbers in the hundreds. Accidents between Amish buggies and motor vehicles were becoming more frequent, he said.

"The Amish community has done a fairly reasonable job working with us to enhance lighting equipment and reflective equipment on buggies," he said. "But unfortunately, because it's an emerging population, I anticipate we'll be seeing more of this sort of tragedy."

Pedley said the problem isn't just having more horse-drawn buggies on the roads. Lafayette County has hilly terrain that produces areas where motorists can only see ahead for limited distances.

"A crash like this could have involved any slow vehicle like a slow-moving tractor pulling a plow, or with bicyclists or hikers," he said. "What we motorists need to remember is to slow down so we have ample opportunity to hit the brakes."

Three motorcyclists were taken to St. Cloud Hospital Monday after they were hit by a car.

The driver of the car, Nancy Hoppe, 49, St. Cloud, was southbound on Minnesota Highway 15 near Third Street North when her car hit the motorcycles from behind.

Hoppe was cited for inattentive driving.

Neil Studenski, 20, Sauk Rapids, and Justin James Schmidt, 33, Maple Lake, were driving the motorcycles, according to St. Cloud police.

A 28-year-old woman was a passenger on Schmidt's motorcycle. Police did not release her name. None was wearing a helmet.

One of the motorcycles rear-ended a car driven by Jeremy Vearrier, 31, Melrose.

The collision happened shortly before 3 p.m.

Saturday afternoon I heard there was a bad crash in the St Francis area. There was a Harley pinned under the front of a car, with a man laying on the ground a little ways from the crash. My eye witness said he had no helmet on, but it could have been taken off by someone try to help him. I can not say if he made it or not, but I was told he was not moving or covered up and the time my buddy was rolling by (on his Harley), no one was working on him.

Sad frown

I remember seeing a crash on Highway 10 north of St. Cloud, and the guy was on the road, sad scene. Never heard what happened.

I came across a motorcycle accident once. Was heading west on 94 going to St Cloud and seen all the emergency vehicles sitting on the side of the road with their lights on. When I veered off the ramp to go into St Cloud, there was a young man about 20 or so laying on his back. I went by at the same time the medics were putting a blanket over his head. I will never forget that image as long as I live. In the ditch was his mangled motorcycle. I personally do not ride, but my brother does. Be careful out there, folks!