• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River Rules.....

riverkid21

I was just out fishing with a friend on the Mississippi right below the dam. We were the only boat at the landing when we put in and we were enjoying a nice day chasing the ski's. Well there are probably 10 or so pillars to the dam as many of you know, maybe more. My friend and I were on the far right side, fishing the 2 pillars over then when we noticed a boat coming up river towards us. We continued to fish as the boat pulled up on the left side of the dam and began to anchor. This really was not a problem because there was a fair distance between us, a long cast or so. Well as soon as they were anchored, one of the gentlemen began casting basically in our boat. Constantly right next to our boat. Cast after cast after cast. We didn't say anything for a while, a few quick glances over to see if he knew what he was doing was all. Well then I finally had a fish hit under the dam, he missed the lure but the excitement set in as I reeled in and figure eighted. He didn't follow so I loaded up a cast to the same spot but just before I released a line went across our boat about 10 feet past the spot I moved the fish. Making another cast impossible for me. At this point I had to say something. I looked over and said "REALLY!?!?!!?" and to this he said, "why dont you just stay on your side over there. You seemed like you liked that side when we came up." We said we did not mind them being there at all but just wished they wouldn't cast towards us. Then he started saying why dont we come over to his boat and say something, otherwise to shut our faces or he'd do this for us. This was somewhat funny because he was an older fellow but at that point it wasn't worth it and we just slowly left. I took down his boat tag in my head. Anything I can do with that? or should I just forget about it? I just wish people were more friendly on the river, recently there have been a few too many people having bad days or something. Or maybe there are some river rules that I am breaking and unaware of.... if so please tell.

I know some russian friends(immigrants, family friends who worked with my dad) who are astounded at how polite people are here in the United States, and I would bet they would see what you witnessed as more "normal" for them, at least from what they've told me.

One of them has a theory that Americans are so polite simply because you never know who's got a license to carry.. lol

If you wanted to be a pain in the guy's [PoorWordUsage], you might be able to sue for assault. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have a ton of free time and money on hand and just want a bit of revenge. I'm not 100% sure on Minnesota's definition of assault, but many places in the US include verbal threats and "violating one's personal space".

Not worth doing anything about, at all. I had that happen last year, I was anchored in my canoe fishing an area fairly close to shore. Guy and his son pull up and choose the one spot next to my boat to shore fish from. Never mind that there were 10 other spots within 100 yards. He casts 2 feet away from me. I just glared at him and let him know I was aware of what he was doing. Then when he kept doing it I took off. Didn't want to start something when he had his kid. Sad that people don't have respect

It's definitely not just the river. I've seen on a lot of boards the same things happening in metro lakes...including some bad experiences myself. I'm glad you didn't get into a big confrontation. I must say that I really would like to see more effort by the DNR to formally address the issue. I like the TIP line although I've never used it and I'm not sure if that would really get you anywhere in the case of "boat rage" or just dangerous behavior like that. Just like with any other issue (i.e. bridge structural quality), no governmental agency does anything until somebody gets hurt or killed...I do feel it's the responsibility of the DNR to address the issue as they are the same people promoting fishing and trying to get more people on the water. Granted it should just be people taking responsibility and being respectful on the water, but no matter what there are always those that don't value other people.

It seems that there is a lot more effort by the DNR to prevent the spread of milfoil and invasive species (which I agree with) but as soon as the issue is addressed it's already too late because just about every lake probably already has it. I don't know if it would really make a difference but why couldn't they post signage and ads promoting etiquette - I've never seen even an attempt by the DNR.

Oh and guessing from your login name he might have guessed you were young and thought he could push you around - I've had that happen, and guys with bigger boats too.

I'm sure everyone on here could share similar stories, same on lakes where the homeowners just happen to need to plow right next to you just to prove some sort of point. A few weeks back was fishing on a lake with buddies two boats, anchored working a shoreline, lady comes driving her 20+ foot pontoon in a straight line, then veers, cuts in towards the shoreline, then proceeds to cut in and pass right between our two boats, granted there was maybe 50 feet between us, but she just had to do it. We all let her know she was #1, but it is frustrating. I agree with the guy who said there probably isn't much you can do unless the DNR or whomever were to catch them in the act, and probably even then it would have to be pretty blatant and obvious harassing would be my guess.

I think you did the right thing. I've had this happen on metro area lakes all too often which is why I don't get on the lakes nearly as much. I suggest keeping the TIP line on your phone and use it. I've made one call before and the DNR were quite responsive on the issue. There's been so many times I would love to just tie on a big cowgirl and get even but that would only bring you down to there level. Being the bigger person may not seem as instantly gratifying but in the end you'll be a better sportsmen. I think it's best to just laugh in the face of people that don't have proper morals or ethical standards. Way to keep your head.

It was very blatant and very obvious. I was out with him when it happened and it was ridiculous. It wouldn't have been so bad if his first cast wasn't literally 2 feet in front of me. And even then that wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't feel the need to do the same thing over and over again.

The guy was a moron, simple as that. I just dont see how he thought he could intimidate us casting a sucker minnow at our boat when we're throwing baits that could knock him out if we really wanted to.

And i know my friend up there asked if we were doing anything wrong, but we weren't. We were on the spot well before they were, and left them plenty of room to fish. Just a shame that some people have to add that element to fishing now.

OK so this would not nessacarily be the right thing to do, but why not put on the LARGEST musky bait you have and cast it a few times in his direction. I have had this same sort of thing happen a couple times in the last two years. Last time it happened I put on the biggest bait I had in the boat & casted it his way a couple times...after about 4 casts he moved. I was about 20 yards from shore and casting towards shore and the moron comes inbetween me & shore and pretty much stops...Dumb SOB looked at me a couple times, sort of grinned..he had his kids with or there would probly have been some words spoken. Butt the Lure flying at him seemed to give him the idea, I just smiled back at him.

I had the same type of thing happen to me while night fishing for walleyes from shore on Lake Bemidji while going to school there several years ago. A buddy and I were standing out on Diamond point in our waders in the middle of the night. A boat comes across the lake and anchors literally right in front of us. This point reaches practically all across the lake and they camp out right in front of us? I made comments to them about how they could fish the entire lake, yet they anchor right in front of someone fishing in waders.

I was totally [PoorWordUsage] so I cast one of my #7 countdowns across the bow of his boat and began my retrieve. Clink clink on one side of the boat, clink along the bottom of the boat, clink across the near side of the boat, splash in the water on the near side of the boat, continue retrieve.

They immediately pulled up the anchor and left without a word. I cannot believe the nerve of some people.

We (riverkid and I) fished up near the dam again today and were informed by a guy that works at the dam that was out watching us fish that day that this same guy has done this same thing at least 3 other times that he has witnessed. I've seen this guy that we talked to today a few other times standing outside of the dam and watching people fish a few times before, he was even out there the day i caught my 49" but had gone in not long before I caught it, so I can safely say he's there a lot.

But just knowing that this moron has done this to other boats makes me regret not doing more to teach him a bit of a lesson. Also just strengthens the fact that there are a few morons out there that just need to try and ruin it for the rest of us.

So if you're fishing up by the dam on the Mississippi and you see an older brown/tan crestliner pull up next to you don't hesitate to let him know how you feel if he tries to disrespect you. the guy needs to learn his lesson.