• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mankato Fishing

MinnesnowtaWild

I am in no way disgruntled with you guys, I realize you're just doing your job (I am thinking of the law enforcement branch or DNR). I contacted a nice lady from the city who told me to come on down and get the permit.

We fish regularly at the dog park, and haven't had any problems with getting kicked out but that night at Sibley made me realize we have to follow the park rules and closing times. Fishing is my passion, and I live for this stuff. And it's cool getting my girlfriend into my same passion, slowly but surely.

Just curious, would it have been a fine or a tow if you don't mind me asking.

Thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone else, I realize I shouldn't be posting my favorite spots in detail. I have been a lurker for some time now on here, and finally just decided to join.

I for one don't want my spots getting littered and ruining my favorite spots to spend my time.

I did not take any offense to your post I was just using your post to let other people know as well...maybe make my job a little easier and get people to comply so we do not have to ask them to leave. The Dog Park is a little tougher to enforce because it is hard to find people back there and the bugs are usually horrible. It looked like you had a pretty good thing going to, I wish i could get my girlfriend out fishing with me...whats your secret?

Wild...Last summer I got a parking ticket ($5) at the dog park and then went to the gov't center the next day to get a parking permit. Usually those wingdams have people fishing them, at least when I drive by they do. What you had on your map was a bar that goes almost all the way across the river. Only way to get by in a boat is to hug the shoreline near the factory. Try fishing the shallow slack water behind the wingdams/bar at night when the flatties go shallow to feed. There is a deep hole nearby, but I don't know if it is where you drew it on your map, but that probably holds some fish that come out at night. I did not fish that area this late in the summer last year so I don't know how the bite is, but I know it is decent down there early in the summer or late spring. Oh ya, it seems the girlfriends take to catfishing better that other species especially if you are shore fishing. Mine likes to go with too, but that's because we usually have a fire, food, beer, etc. Good luck down there, that area can hold some good sized fish.

A buddy of mine and I are the ones who got the city to start giving out those permits due to being ticketed a few times. Please just remember, try to leave the spots cleaner than you found them.

good luck

Wow only a $5 ticket? Ours was like $35.

Good job with the permits, they serve a good purpose. If my ticket would have been $35 I would have flipped out. That is crazy. Now I know how they got those new cop cars smile Remember the cop shop doesn't take debit cards even though it's 2008, but they will still take a bad check smile Anyway, how has the fishing been down there? I haven't been out Cattin since June. I need to get out around the cities, but I got no boat anymore and all the shore spots around my area are super shallow. One of these days I will make it to pool 2 on the Sipp...If anyone has an open seat ever, hit me up, I am always game and have all the gear needed. Good luck out there!

I just got back from the park for a little daytime fishing before work. Just had 3 small channels, and 1 shovelnose sturgeon that was lost when it jumped out of the water. I was mostly fishing for carp, but I was not disappointed with the cats.

I noticed that there is a lot of trash there people are leaving behind. It's not that hard to put your stuff in an empty bottle or whatever else you can use. I'm a smoker, and I make [PoorWordUsage] sure my cigarettes go back to the car with me.

As for the permits, are they free? Just wondering on this because I will be getting one tomorrow. I am planning on fishing all day tomorrow at the park well into the night. If anyone else plans to be at the park, just look for a young looking guy with a Creekside rod and Quantum spinning reel and that would be me.

As for getting the girlfriend to come fishing, she just always wants to come with. It can get frustrating since she is very new to fishing, and is under-equipped for the river but she still has fun even if she is just keeping me company. I guess I just got her into the thrill of fishing the river at night (something about it is just so peaceful, yet nerveracking at the same time knowing there are monster fish in the river).

Got my free permit today, and made sure to use it right away. We found a new spot and it was rockin'. I had a 8 lb. flathead (which is big for me, since I just started catfishing) and my buddy had a 4 lb channel. Also had a 4 lb shortnose gar (record is 4 lbs 10 oz).

Sweet. Near-record fish, multi-species, a new spot, and no worry about a ticket. Can't get much better than that. I hope to hook into something big tonight, but if history has anything to say about it, I might be in for a skunking smile

only after dark, or most likely when the park closes which is probably 9pm or 10pm. it is just for parking down there after dark. the permit covers land of memories and sibley parks too.

Hey just so I don't have to create a new thread, has anyone heard anything about the Creekside Catfish Series rod? I bought it about a month back and I'm in love with it. The low price got me wondering though if they are cheaply designed or tend to snap ($15 for a 8' MH Action rod).