• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mankato Fishing

MinnesnowtaWild

Hey guys, I'm new on here. I was just wondering if anyone from on here was fishing the Minnesota last night down here in Kato. I was at my favorite spot at the dog park and saw at least 5 groups of people and a few boats.

I am psyched cause I found a new spot down by the dog park that seems like a perfect spot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog Park gets a lot of pressure so some of the really good looking spots get hammered by people. early in year dog park can be good have not heard much of late down thier. the wing dams are a far walk but can be worth the walk.

Also fished at Sibley Park, but saw a bunch of cops swarm the parking lot and walked up there to see them around my car and my girlfriends car. At 10:30 they do a check to kick everyone out so we had to leave but looks to be another good spot there where the Blue Earth river meets the Minnesota and has a pretty strong current.

Saw some girls swimming there while fishing one day and they got stuck in the current and were freaking out.

You can catch fish in any of those areas, different people like to fish different areas. Experimentation to find what works for you is what catfishin' is about and a big part of the fun.

Although none of the spots you have mentioned are secrets or anything but you should keep a tighter lip about them or you will go to your spot to find a million people there.

if this was not a known spot you blew a secret but its not a secret some people might have not known a bout it and now thiers even more pressure thier when you give up spots and maps e-mail them or keep them to your self

Minneswotawild.

Welcome to HSO/FM

There are a lot of great cat minds here are will be more than willing to help you. Maps are a great tool, and we can break down locations and try to give you a hand.

You might however limit or even want to omit specific names of identifying characteriscs in your map.

This is just a recommendation. There are a lot of people that access these forums and would be more than willing to "set up shop" at your honey hole without regard to you.

We are all about sharing information and tactics here at HSO. It truly is all about "Having More Fun". However calling out specific spots seems to have a ripple effect. Even if that spot doesn't have fish people will go there just because they saw it here.

Something to think about in the future smile

I know your new to this forum I would just listen to what is bein said I know of several cats bein caught at this spot and would like to keep the area clean and not so populated in most cases more people equal s more trtash and our loss of fishing I just hope you leave your spots cleaner than you found them thanx DZ

Welcome to FM MinnenowtaWild. While I did enjoy your artistic interpretation of the area your speaking about....There are plenty of trolls lurking in the dark depths of the internets that will gladly squat on your spots as others have said. Typically people will exchange e-mails with one another in regards to specific locations they have in mind. Were all about helping each other out on FM and that's what makes it such a special place. Most of us just choose to keep things like that off the radar so those that aren't involved within the FM community can't abuse the information. Again, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing more posts in the future!

Cheers.

-J

People that have fished that area for years hate it when it gets discussed online. They even get nasty about seeing groups of people down there because word got out around town just by talking about it. I have been down there when the time is right, which is not now by the way, and the guys who have fished it for years and years hate seeing younger guys or unfamiliar faces down there. What do they expect when a public park gets built and there are walking trails right next to the river. Sooner or later people catch on to seeing vehicles parked further back and walkers see you with fishing gear. Anyway, it is best to leave specifics of location out of posts, because people on here will get on your case. Which has already happened I see. That said, there are a lot of other places to fish in and out of town on the river and they are shore spots.

Well I'm not just gunna stop going to that spot, and there really is nothing anyone can do about people going there since it's not private land.

Like I have already said, I'm sorry for disclosing the location to new people. The point wasn't to show my new spot, it was asking where on wing dams is the best place for cats. My intention was not to release this spot to everyone.

Not a very warm welcome to these forums...

Minnesnowtawild,

Please forgive me if I came of as anything but genuine. My suggestion about calling out specific spots was not directed towards any particular spot. Just a recommendation in general.

I honestly don't care if maps are posted or not.

But any time that all the attention is on one particular spot, it seems to bring out the worst in people thinking its their own.

By all means, fish anywhere you want (I do smile) and please share your experiences with us all. We are one big family here.

Hey Wild,

Lick your boo boo's. You didn't do anything wrong. There are a few out there that are anti Internet and information sharing.

Now I'm not so sure that I would go as far as the big happy family.....as Mr. Dtro stated..... LOL but I will state that some of these guys have become some pretty good fishing Mates over the last couple seasons.

As with any big "dysfunctional" family you got your mixed bag, but that's what keeps it interesting. Don't be bashful about chiming in with questions, info and ideas.

Just leave the specific spots out (instead use hypothetical situations), we don't want to know, and there are a bunch that will rape it.

Welcome to the cat forum... grin

Minnesnowtawild,

Welcome dude and bring all the maps you want. I have good bully spots and some fishing spots brought up once and awhile, but figure if someone can go down and have some fun or get bait all the better.

I liked your map. I thought it was well drawn. I do not think that is a wing dam, but a natural occurring bar. I would concentrate around the tip of this if you have a boat. That or right over by the utility place wink. I did not get a good look at the map, but have an idea. There for I do not know the depths around the area.

People who get up in arms about new people in their spots, do so when you are not around. Just keep going and have fun. Lot of the guys who posted are just warning ya, not being mean or grumpy. But, post away. Their is nothing in forum policy about not posting maps of your spots and asking questions about exact locations. Be prepared if someone starts bashing, but with in minutes (when the mods in this forum wake up because not much happens grin) the message should be gone.

Also look at how many views this thread has gotten. It had about a 150 or so before you posted the map and most of the views are all of us clicking back on for about the 10th time. This allusive lurker thing might occur, but I think some make it out to be than it is. I would be very impressed if this thread even hit 700 views. If it does it is because of what is going on right now and no because of what you have posted. Most times 300 views by the same people clicking on it many times. Now, how many lurkers are in the Mankato area? Break it down and maybe a couple people who do not post in this forum fit the criteria. Now if they go down to your spot, that remains to be seen. The reason why people from the olden days get P.O.ed about more people in their spots, because the population is increasing and more people are around. Got to live with it!

Good luck and keep posting!

I wasn't bashing, I was just trying to give a newbie some advice. I have been around this site for awhile now and I do know there ARE plenty of lurkers who never post. I know a few of them myself.

Yes catfishing has increased all over and its something you do have to deal with but why make it any harder on oneself by giving up your spot? Especially when you are a shore fisherman.

Its like posting a map to your morel spot, just don't be surprised the next day if they are all gone. Thats all I am sayin.

Wild...just any FYI I am one of the Officer's that had you leave that night, we have no prob letting people fish in any of the parks including Sibley, Land of Memories and the Dog Park. However if you are going to be there after hours and are not camping(Land of Memories) you need to go to the Mankato Government Center and get a after hours fishing permit to place in your window. We have a lot of probelms by the river at night so thats why you where checked and asked to leave since you did not have the proper permit. If you have any questions feel free to ask or shoot me an email!