• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

snowmobile question

GotOne

If someone thinks that 440s are meant to be used only for a couple of races, then take a showroom 600 adrenaline or x chassis and run it in the same races and see how long it lasts under those conditions.

Im not talking about chassis here, there is no doubt a 440 race chassis is much beefier than a regular chassis. Nobody is debating that. A 440 race moter puts out around 112 to 115 horse about the same as a 600. Can a 440 be run as long as a 600? Of course! Will it be alot more work? YES!!! A previous post states all the things it will take to do it. Would it be a great and fun sled to ride? Of course! Would it be worth all the trouble vs just buying a 600 from the get go? Not in my opinion. Want a list of the sleds Ive had in my life and how many miles they had on them? Here it is:

79 440 ski-doo everest, No idea how many miles but rebuilt once when it broke a fan belt

85 440 Indy Trail, About 9000 miles wide open down the Red River every night in middle school. Never opened up the moter.

91 470 MXZ only about 3000 miles never opened the moter up.

94 580 STX with about 12000 miles on it and cracked one piston at about the 10000 mile mark while pulling the fish house

97 440 MXZX with 9000 miles on it. 3 or 4 sets of rings a crankshaft, complete ignition, and a track.

98 580 MXZ about 10000 miles never been opened up

99 600 MXZ about 9000 or 10000 miles one side lost a wrist pin clip and scored the jug at about 8000 miles

01 700 MXZ about 4000 miles and never opened up

03 800 MXZX 3650 miles lost an oil line and scored both pistions at about 2500 miles

I just sold the 800 last spring but the 440 580 and 600 are all still in the family and the 440 is by far the most wore out sled of the bunch. Grandted it is the oldest but it doesnt have the most miles. My dad bought the 440 580 and 600 new and I bought them from him and now my sister has the 440 and my brother has the 580. The 440 is faster than the 580 but not the 600 and it is way more of a pain to maintain. It seems you are always tweaking on it to get it to run to its full potential. We took it out West once an I have never seen a sled the was such a pain to get dialed in. The jetting and clutching specs listed for that altitude are not even close.

Thats what my opinion is based on. Take it for what you will. I would just get a 600 and not have to deal with all the stuff that it is going to take to make a 440 a trail sled.