Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
only ice

Transplanting a Lilac Bush

4 posts in this topic

Want to move a lilac bush to another spot in my yard. Should I do it this fall when the leaves all fall off, or do it in the spring before they bud ? This bush is only 5ft. tall. Thanks

Lilacs are tough as nails. You can probably move them any time. They have some big, gnarly roots so plan on digging a big root ball.

Generally the rule of thumb I follow when transplanting anything is - Before memorial day or after labor day. But most importantly watch the weather. Avoid transplanting during hot dry spells. Look for cool and wet periods. I have found there really is no benefit to waiting till after the leaves fall off if your only moving it around your yard.

You could move it now since yes, Lilacs are very tough. But make sure you water extensively before and after. Make your move quick by digging your new hole before digging your shrub out. Moving can be successful but your chances at success are much lower.

Always get as much of the root system as possible. Try to minimize damage to the branches.

I transplanted a few lilac plants late last summer/ early fall. I made sure to water them alot and that's it. They are all doing just fine.