• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Interruption and People's 'Dog Manners'

Scott M

I've been having troubles with people interrupting me when I'm out working with the dog. It happens about half the time I'm out there, every other day it seems. I train behind a school that has a huge park. I don't work for very long so it seems improbable that I get interrupted so often, yet it always happens. Yesterday some guy came running over, grabbed the pup and started wrestling with her, asking how old she was, what we were doing, etc....then he starts throwing her training dummy for her (with no voice or hand commands and no obedience necessary, like that won't screw with her head).

Someone needs to devise some sort of People 'Dog Manners.' Would you just run up to someone and start doing that to their child or their motorcycle, as an example? Yet somehow some people think its okay with dogs. I don't get it.

Does anyone have any tips of what I can do to avoid the people? I don't have a ton of time available, so rearranging the scheduled timing isn't a very nice scenario. I also don't feel like driving for 10-20 minutes just to do something that should take 10-15. I guess I just need to start forcefully telling these people to leave. It's just hard when its some family with little kids. But when it's new people day after day its hard to get things done.

You hit it on the head Scott. SOme people have no manners, dog or otherwise. I've taught my kids never to approach a dog without asking the owner first. It just amazes me how many adults don't do this.

I would ask the person to leave because you are training your puppy. Plain and simple. I hate being rude to people too, even if they deserve it, but some people don't understand polite.

i had a big poblem with my wife doing this! i would get so frustrated working the dog in the backyard that i would actually have to leave and go train elsewhere.

Now after putting the foot down she knows not to bother while training is going on. It seemed like she always interupted right when the dogs like bulb was clicking. She also did it alot during force fetching!!!! Whichs really can hurt things!!

I can understand that you are frustrated, but, you are working your dog on public ground, you're going to have to deal with it, or drive the 10-20 minutes. Most of these people that are approaching you to see your dog have no clue, drive the 10-20 minutes, I have a feeling you'll be glad you did.

That sucks. I do a lot of ours in the backyard, but sometimes the neighbors still come over. I'd try to find a different place. On the plus side, sometimes it is nice to train with some distractions, but it can sure be a hassle when they're young.

I used to work in a public park a lot myself. Nice to have the big room to use. But simply put the park belongs to everyone. if you want solitude you're going to have to be rude or find someplace else if polite doesn't work. I actually liked some people coming by in short shorts being all friendly.

You could train at night! When I trained my first pup, I worked second shift and had to throw dummies in the back yard flood lights and in the garage. A well lit park after dark might be a good idea.

I also like the idea of signage. You could make up a sign that says beware of dog and place it in the landing area of the dummy.

I also train a lot on a public park (worth parkway) I run a lot of hunt tests and my dog is fairly well trained. Take this for what it is worth but I found if I look like I am out there training my dog people leave me alone. If I look like I'm just getting the dog some excerise people approach me.

Now I tend have people stop and respectfully ask questions instead of barging right in. Sometimes it still happens. If it happens now I put them to work, have them throw marks for me.

I used to work in a public park a lot myself. Nice to have the big room to use. But simply put the park belongs to everyone. if you want solitude you're going to have to be rude or find someplace else if polite doesn't work. I actually liked some people coming by in short shorts being all friendly.

I agree with you Cootz it is public. Most just don't have common sense. If they come up and ask, that's one thing, but to just start playing with your dog is unacceptable if you aren't training it.

PL Sportsman, They let just anyone talk in here I see! :-) Anyone figure out yet who's driving and who's taking who's boat? I hear you have a new pup. What happened with Dakota? How old and fun is the new one?