• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hurricane #1

Well its finally here, hurricane #1. The west coast should be getting hit on Monday night. Only a cat.1 so if it makes it to me (some will regardless) It should just be a BIG thunderstorm. Should make for some nice cloud pictures.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The east side should be ok, right now the winds are 70 mph. If it stays that way it will just be a tropical storm when it get here. I dont think the east coast should be bothered. Funny thing, Wal-marts canned goods and water got wiped out yesterday, I dont know why people panic like this. (sissies)

All some of the family sees is Florida and they get concerned. They don't realize how long that state is. We had floods one year here in So. St. Paul, and got calls from relatives wondering if we were ok. We live about 150 feet above the Mississippi, if we got flooded, they would have to bring out the Arks. It would be a major disaster, not just a flood.

Maybe there will at least be a little hail damage to roofs and siding so my son-in-law can get some work in. I hate to wish others ill, but he does need the work.

Tom - they just said they are calling it a jokester storm. They have no idea where its going to go. Its in the keys right now or just south of.(they were evacuated this morning) They said it could take a turn and go visit your daughter, if it does that I guess being on land for so long it will lose strength and do the least damage just a big thunderstorm, or it could go into the gulf and gain strength, go up the middle and come see me. It lost a lot of strength pounding cuba. I'll get it either way the distance from the center to the edge of the outerbands is 107 miles right now. I gotta admit I am a little disappointed, as scary as they are, their a sight to see. But also more relieved.

Peachy - Not much lightning, unless your in the outer bands but let me tell ya that wind can do wonders for a hair style. As for the shower, talk about a "massaging" showerhead.

Lisa - After having to rebuild my home in 2004,(Hit 3 times in 6 weeks) I would prefer a blizzard also. Hey maybe I'll get to use my generator this year? I do hope to get some good pictures. I'm gonna sit at my front door and watch my neighbors tall palm tree. BUT the first bolt of lightning and I'll quickly be inside.

I'm always a bit disappointed when they forecast big snows or a severe thunderstorm and then by the time they hit my area (because I'm close to L. Superior) they usually peter out. I think I could be a bona fide storm chaser! I really love weather! I've never seen a tornado or hurricane though. Maybe then I'd be scared??!! Probably! Let us know how things go though anyway.

Dont like tornados, they sneak up on you. At least with a hurricane, its not like you dont know its comming or how big it'll be so you have about a week to decide if you want to stay and ride it out or leave. As for storm chasing come on down, nothing like watching a little wind pick up a roof and set it back down in place.(havent seen it but friends have) The weather channel people are a blast to watch, they stand out in the middle of it with a rope tied around them and still get knocked down. The storm is kinda fun but afterwards it bites no power= no A/C.

Thanks Garyc,

These storms are weird. Its probably going to go in at Ft. Myers, if Tampa's lucky they will get the western side of the storm which will just be wind and rain and we'll get the east side which I dont want because thats where the tornados and lightning are. The outer bands are just below orlando and the storm itself hasnt hit land yet. Our thunderstorms are starting now. I really dont want to go to work tonight, I hate driving in this stuff.

OH YEAAA!!! (that was sarcasm I really dont want more) watching the news right now and they said there might be another one, they will know in the next 24 hrs, if its going to form. I might get some pictures yet. If you like this kinda stuff you can check out or google 'central florida hurricane center 2008' it follows and tracks the storms. Its kinda cool.

well it took the turn mad and is heading for Brevard County so Tom looks like your son in law may get some extra work after all. Nohing to worry about still, it didnt pick up any extra speed in the gulf so it sould die pretty quick. I'm kinda sad, but my house is safe. grin

yea, the schools are closed around here too. there is no eye anymore, its just a tropical storm and is dying slowly. We had a few thunder storms today and are under tornado warnings for another hour or so. This storm is a little disappointing even thou 33,000+ homes have no power.

We still have power as of yet. I'll probably be sleeping when we get our share. Its crossing Orlando (about 45 miles away)movin 8 mph NNE w/ 65 mph winds. The outer rainbands are just reaching us.

HAHAHAHAHA yea we're fine. I'm dissapointed. We got rain rain and more rain and thats it. My pool is overflowing. Its headed back out to sea to get bigger then its going to come back and flood north florida. BUT there is another one out there trying to get it together.

Tom - if you daughter doesnt have a pool, she will now. It pretty much stalled over Brevard County with non stop rain. But they still have power:)