• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 GMC 1500 Tranny

I was heading north on I35 today to go bait for bear hunting when my engine starting revving. It was running 4000-4500 rpm to maintain 70 mph. I pulled over right away and looked underneath the truck and there was trans fluid all over. Does anyone know what trans model is in this truck, I assume it is a 4L60E but I don't know for sure. It is a '96 GMC K1500 4x4 with a 5.7L. What are people's thoughts on having it rebuilt, I have 208 thousand miles on the truck and I am not sure if it is worth it. Any other advice on the matter would be appreciated.

Hard to say on the rebuild, depends on what's wrong.

If you plan to keep the truck, something like a GM reman usually offers a better warranty, FWIW...

Maybe you're lucky and it's just a busted line. Fix that, top up the fluid, and keep you're fingers crossed...