• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well here's something a litte different.

DTro

Was down walking along the creek catching chubs, and noticed a bunch of Frogs.

I wanted to catch a few but knew I would be too slow, but I tried anyways.

Yep.....too slow grin

So I'm like hey, I'll just try to snag them with my little Ratso jig.

I lower it down and WHAM, the frog EATS IT!

I cleaned up on them this way smile

I just wonder if anyone was watching me? I bet it looked pretty funny.

I think the key was the Glow Colored Ratso. Seemed to be the pattern today. wink

Lets see if the catfish are just as hungry now.

When you can see frogs on the waters edge, yet can't get close to them, fishing for them works great.

My son and I used to do this for fun...it's a blast.

Another critter that is a hoot to fish for is the sand toad. AKA sidewalk toads.

They can be led around all over the place chasing a split shot and a white piece of yarn tied into a bow to simulate a fly. They are like little Bulldogs when they hit it, they do not want to let loose..hang there and dangle and kick a while and than drop off.

And than....do it all over again, they are stubborn critters.

I had a Toad fishing willow by my garage door out at my old place. I had 4 or 5 bull toads that staked out mutual territories on each side of the house. I would go mess with them some evenings when I was bored and needed a giggle.

Cheap thrills..Eh!

And by the way...I'm kinda superstitious about toads and tree frogs...I never use them or black masked tree frogs as bait...ever.

To weird dude!

After this 48 hours of cat fish fun, I was going to make a post about using frogs. I used them on Friday night with no success, but being on the shoot out I think I did not give them a great try out. Only about 2 hours, before I switched back to cut.

I just gave the kids the bait tank net and told them to go out and get me about a dozen frogs. They did and where back in about 10-15 minutes with a cooler full.

A couple of tid-bits I observed during with my brief encounter with frogs this weekend.

First when using frogs live, try and reel them up every 5-10 minutes. This keeps them from drowning and also keeps them alert.

Second, try and get frogs from a small pond. These frogs have no idea of water big water means. I think this might keep them from hiding on you when you throw them out. When I would bring them up for air, I would drop them in on shore and they where climbing for the surface. When I let the last of what I had go in the river, I could tell they had no clue what to do. They just sat right next to me for a long time and I could have possibly picked them up again.

Third, short of carrying a cooler and tackle box or second cooler, I found a large sucker/plastic bag, opened wide and twisted shut will hold enough air to keep them alive. Plus, the bag is easier to get them out of than a small cooler. I tried and it did not work.

Y0p+1fI8KaJfjp03n4RSraZy-8OC3XTX0300.jpg

This how I hooked them. If given air about every 5 minutes or so, they stayed alive a long time and moved very well.

sepgIqV-lcYAyPMKR5KnbdPUzogZHJip0300.jpg

Here was my arsenal of cut baits for Friday night shore fishing on the Mississippi North. The bag of frogs it on the upper left. I seemed to work great!

wVGCnMCSFBQPS-0bFtPi2ZCGxN01Wom50300.jpg

flow troll buckets work awsome for frogs the flap/lid keeps em from getting out.. a 5 gallon bucket is good enough tho trick is to put enough water in the bottom so they have no leverage and cant jump very high to get out. When im not fishing i keep them in a 50 gallon plastic barrel with no lid outside.. the kids love to feed them grasshoppers and watch them eat even the neighbor kids get in on the fun of catching and feeding.