• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are the chances of a nonresident pulling a buck tag? I'm guessing it's close to nil. If I read the regs correctly it appears that nonresidents only get put into the second lottery, and there would most likely be no buck tags available by then.

It all depends on what area ou hunt (obviously I guess). I don't have it yet, but usually at the end of the year or the beginning of next year the GNF sends out the stats on the hunting season in the Outdoors magazine. When that comes out I'll let you know what I find, but yes, I agree that the odds aren't in your favor.

marine_man

2J1 would be the unit I'd be applying for but there are always residents who are denied tags in that unit so that would mean none available for the 2nd lottery.

Are you referring to Dakota Outdoors magazine? If so, I have a subscription and will keep an eye out for the results. I was looking online but didn't find anything on the G&F HSOforum.

Dan, you just need to apply as its nothing more than a luck deal for NS because of preference points for those who have applied and not gotten drawn. I hunt in 2G1 and its about every 4 years for a rifle buck tag. One can go into the first lottery and then I go for doe tags after that and always get a few doe tags. The buck tags for non residents are allocated by percentage.

I believe its 1% and half of those go to outfitters so ones chances are not very good. Preference is your only chance other than a pile of luck.

NR can apply in the first draw.They get 1% of the buck tags in each unit.G/O do not get half of these tags.They are alloted up to 100 NR tags and no G/O can get more than 5.

G/O are not the problem.....NR landowners are the problem.They are guaranteed a tag but they must pay the $200 fee for it.These NR landowner tags are also subtracted from the 1% before the drawing starts.

I'm confused. In the regs it says that the 1% is allotted for nonresidents in the SECOND lottery, which is moot since there would be no buck tags left by the time the second lottery rolls around.....at least in my unit anyway.

I'll probably just give them a call to see what the scoop is.

This is what it says on the GNF HSOforum....."Nonresidents – State law allocates nonresidents 1 percent of deer gun and muzzleloader licenses available in any unit (through the second deer

gun lottery.)That means lottery 1 and 2.

The SECOND lottery is for those who were unsuccessful in the FIRST.All buck tags are gone in those 2 lotteries.The Third lottery is when they start giving out the extra doe tags.There are 4 lotteries.Then any left are sold over the counter.There are still doe tags available in some units that can be used for bow and muzzleloader seasons.

NR pay $200 for lotteries one and two.Any sold after that are $50.

NR also are allowed to build up preference points.Same as residents.This is how it works....

year 1......1 application

year 2......1 pref. point doubled plus 1.....3 applications

year 3......2 pref. points doubled plus 1....5 applications

year 4......3 pref. points doubled plus 1....7 applications

year 5......4 pref. points now are cubed plus 1.....65 applications

year 6......5 pref. points cubed plus 1......126 applications

In most units it takes 3-4 years for a NR to get drawn in the first lottery.In the mule deer units.....5-7 years.

Thanks KEN for the explanation. I lived in ND for about 20 years so I'm aware of how the lottery system works but wasn't sure how nonresidents are treated. I mistakenly read that NR's only get dumped into the 2nd Lottery but you've cleared that up. Thanks.

Are you referring to Dakota Outdoors magazine? If so, I have a subscription and will keep an eye out for the results. I was looking online but didn't find anything on the G&F HSOforum.

I think we're talking about the same thing... the "North Dakota Outdoors" magainze, published by the ND GNF.

I believe it's the january or march issue that has the stats in them.

marine_man

Thanks. I found the ND Outdoors articles on the G&F HSOforum last night and it had links to the past year's lottery results. The only thing I didn't see was the number of available licenses per unit. I'm just curious as to how they are distributed.

hey guys just found this .

wondering how many went with out a deer this year ?

I worked out in the Jamestown area for a farmer during the sun flower and corn harvest i could not believe the deer you have out there they were all over the place and hope to again next year and might get in on the hunt please keep us undated on the deer pop. ...

If you want to bow hunt mulies......you should apply by March 1.Limited number of tags for them.The extra doe tags become available during the third lottery some time in late July-Aug.For non-res. they are $50.

Your over the counter regular bow license is statewide......extra doe tags are for a specific unit.

With all the snow this year,I would guess the deer population is taking a hit.Might not be as many extra doe tags as in the past.