Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverrat56

How Many Cranks......?

162 posts in this topic

I'm at 140 and counting, including mostly Rapala's but a good mix of Salmo's and others as well.

How many do I use....maybe 40 of them see significant use.

Just wondering who else has an addiction?

I would say I rank up there, since I have close to 150 and barley use them....it is definitly my least used presentation

Don't get me wrong, there is almost always a crank tied up on 2 of my 3 rods, I use them often, but not a whole lot of variety.

I'd hate to count but I'd guess around 300 if you include multiples in some of the colors / sizes. Most of the styles get used during the year, maybe not all the colors or sizes, but most of the styles.

I'd be getting close to two bills. Last week at Mille Lacs I found a bag of new cranks in my boat that I forgot I had. That's pretty bad! But I had to laugh. grin

I had over 300 at the start of April but about one month ago someone decided to break into my car at the landing and help there self to about 150 of them along with some other gear of a friend of mine.Just go to show you dont leave any gear behind when you go out fishing because if a crook wants your stuff they will break out your window to get it.Wasnt the only car at the landing that had a window smashed there where 4 others that day frickin crooks.

When you start counting you are admitting you have a problem sick! When you stop counting at 200 (like me) you do have a problem, at least acccording to the wife. I must have at least 100 Reef Runners, 200 various shad raps, and about 100 others. Counting muskie cranks, I probably have a problem. sickgrin

later,

toddb

I'm with todd... hit 200 at the beginning of the year still had a many to go. since then I have lost a few given a away a few and probably bought more than that.

I definately have the sickness. I've never actually counted, because I'm afraid to. My best guess would be between 250 and 400. On the other hand, I do 90% of my walleye fishing with cranks. So I can justify it with all that bait I'm not buying..........Right? crazy

I don't know how many it is, but I've got 3 18 gallon rubbermaid containers full of Plano 3600 boxes, each one full of cranks. All separated by brand/model/size/color. All I have to do is figure out what I'm going to use, grab a box or two and out the door I go.

I think I have between 300 and 400. I probably have 200 shad raps in the different varieties.

Some where in the neighborhood of 500 or so. I have my favorites so I only use 20 or 30 on a regular basis. I seems to nver fail that I don't have the hot one for the day so I go and buy a half dozen of them and they never work again.

I'm a light weight here with a mere 25 but thanks for starting this, I had my wife check it out. Every time we stop at the bait shop and she sees me checking out the cranks I get the "don't you have enough of them already?" grin

Mike W,

Do you have any Raps in SBB (Silver Baby Bass) pattern. If yes, would you shoot me an email at goose55315 at msn dot com?? Thanks in advance.

I use Plano 3700 boxes. I put as many as 5 or 6 baits in the same little compartment, which is a pain in the a$$ when the hooks get tangled, but I prefer this method becauase I can easily see what baits, colors and sizes I have. I label the ends of the boxes to make it easier to find the cranks I'm looking for, and I leave some of the boxes at home depending on the time of year and what I plan to run.

I've used the hanging style boxes too and like them, but my complaint with them is it's too hard to see the colors and sizes without taking the baits out.

PerchJerker, I use the same method for my cranks however I use hook bonnets on each of them. One small disadvantage is that you can't get as many in the tray with them on. But it makes it a whole lot easier taking one and only one out of the tray when you're fishing....

Plano 3600 & 3700 boxes. 2-4 baits per compartment 9-12 compartments per box x 10 boxes. My wife says I have to many. I told her as soon as they quit making new styles & colors I'll quit buying them smile

Best box I found is the special mate box. Hangs about 100 sticks/cranks depending on the box. The make small and deep sized ones. Well at least they used to. I heard they arent being made anymore. Cabelas has some nice hanging boxes but they are spendy. I also use the big plano boxes and keep 7 boxes in a soft sided bag.

Im with Jameson in this one. Im not counting. I dont need more bloody fingers. grin