• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A "what if " question....

Had a dude ask me "what if you could only have one lens for the rest of your existence,which would it be?"

For me,shooting Canon,I guess it would be their 28-300mmL. I've never used one,and not a very good rep for sharpness,but figured this would cover all the bases good as possible.

Anybody else got a theory?

Be brand specific and mm specific.

I'm already 2nd guessing my decision! crazy

Picking baby names was easier.

Boy, that's like asking if I could only drive one vehicle for the rest of my life, what would I pick?

I need the pickup for hauling firewood and lumber and going to the dump and such, but I generally drive around a smaller SUV that gets much better gas mileage. I feel I need them both.

Hmmmm, if it could be which two lenses, then I could answer. No one makes a lens that ranges from 15 to 500mm, after all. gringringrin

OK, OK, OK, when I go bombing around doing errands and such, I always keep the 70-200 f2.8L and 1.4 TC on the camera. Gives me from 70 to about 300mm, before the 1.6 crop factor is taken into account. It's a generalist setup, but on form I'd rather shoot tight than wide, so that would have to do. Does that count as one lens or two? winkwinkwink

I would have to have someone invent a 8mm to 800mm F1.4 IS USM L series cannon that sells for less than 2 grand and only weighs 6 lbs and is 5 inches long and 3 inches wide with a minumum focus distance of around 1.2 inches. There that should cover it.

No when I wake up and get off of the cloud nine, if I was limited to one lenses for ever, it would be a 28-300 L canon.

It would be a tough decision. I guess I could live without a wide angle if I had to, but a telephoto would be tough to do without. I bought a Sigma 50-500 awhile back and so far it has lived up to its reputation for being sharp but is really slow. Low light shooting is out of the question. If Sigma would increase the speed a little it would be perfect (almost) its way to heavy!