• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Endorsement for Gulp!

Queenswake

I just got back from a trip to Farm Island Lake near Mille Lacs. We had a bucket of Gulp Alive 5" Jumbo Leeches. As well as a package of Gulp 3" shiner minnows. We were right on the weedline and was alternating betweeen bobber fishing with the leeches and using a 1/2 oz glow jig with the minnow. Every single cast brought a LM bass strike through either presentation. I've never experienced a bass bite like that. It was almost like when you find a school of crappies and they are hitting like mad. This was my first time fishing that lake though so maybe the bass really are that hungry and thick all the time. I also caught a northern using the jig/shiner combo.

I wish I had brought real leeches with me as a comparison. But I did have real fatheads and the fish did not want them using the same presentation.

I did notice that the strikes did start to trail off the longer it had been since I soaked it in the bucket juice.

Anyway, this was my first experience using Gulp and I was pleasantly surprised. I could see them coming in handy when either you run out of a certain type of live bait or did not bring a certain type along and you find out that's what they are hitting on.

The PWT (Professional Walleye Trail) just finished its Can/Am Walleye Tournament at Wabigoon Lake in Dryden, Ontario and it was an artificials only event. There were several 7+ pound fish brought to the scale and most guys had 5 fish limits every day. The majority of the field was fishing with Gulp products and said there was virtually no difference between it and live bait.

I'm going to experiment more with Gulp but when the bite is tough I'll still stick with live bait.

I've given the 5" Gulp leeches more than a fair effort this summer and haven't had as good of luck compared with live bait. The only exception was using small slivers of them on a small jig for gills. Using them at that rate that bucket will last me several years. I was out two weeks ago, had walleyes galore on the camera over rock/rubble in 16-20' and only one taker on the Gulp. Went out 5 days later same spot and nailed them on minnows. Best walleye fishing all year. I don't fish for bass, so hard for me to say. I'll stick with supporting the local bait shops...

We have been having good luck on the 5" gulp leeches and the bigger crawlers. They are easier to transport and don't die when left out in the heat.

I wouldn't say they are as good as the real thing, but on the lakes up here it doesn't seem to take much to catch fish most days.

You got that right! Comparing Gulp to live bait is completely different down here in central MN. I've caught eyes in Ontario on bare jigs! That's why people spend the cash to go up there cause you can usually have success without a whole lot of experience. Send those PWT guys where I fish and see how many limits they take out on Gulp...

A couple of weeks ago, a buddy and I got to the landing at an area resevoir we had just fished the day before where we both took our limit of six walleye home. We released no less than forty other walleyes also. Anyways, as the boat slid off the trailer, my friend looked into the boat and realized we forgot the leeches. Oh no. Instead of going back nine miles down gravel roads to get the leeches, I thought it would be a good time to finally test gulp leeches I had bought in the spring. We got to our little honey hole and baited up with gulp. In the first fifteen minutes we had three in the boat and two were keepers. I thought that this might work out after all. In the next two hours, we caught two that were realeased and fishing wasn't as near productive as the day before. So, we went back to the landing and I had my buddy take my truck back to get the good stuff, real leeches. We then went back to the honey hole, and proceeded where we left off the day before. Ended up keeping a total of nine more and releasing several more. Conditions were totally different than the day before, but with live bait, the fishing just picked up as the day before. Gulp is good when you have no other choice of live bait in my opinion, but I will also stick to the real Macoy. Junky...........

So you can just put the 5'' leeches under a bobber? wouldn't you have to some how impart action to them?

No not really, I was went to Gulp demo that Berkley was doing and they were showing how much action a 5" leech has on a slip bobber rig, with just a small amount of waves. The 3" leeches seemed to be way to stiff for me, and I imagine that is why they didn't demo those too.

well the crappies definatly love the Gulp Alive and so do sunnies...I have also caught walleyes with it and bass......I haven't bought live bait since April....

I personally haven't had much success with the Gulp Leeches, we've been out on Mille Lacs a few times comparing them, and the live stuff has won everytime. I've had success with the Grubs, but the tails don't seem to make it past that first fish, which is frustrating at that price.

It is a little soft but it seems to hold pretty good.....there have been times when the little sunnies and perch rip them pretty good or nibble of the tails but overall they aren't too bad......I haven't used the grubs yet though.......I can tell you I tried the berkley fry and that stuff is horrible....it doesn't stay on a hook and it stinks worse than the Alive juice!!