• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Slugs do You Shoot

I just wanted to see what everyone out there has been shooting for slugs out of your slug barrels in shotguns. I have been shooting remingtons for years, and have been a very nice shell.

Just wanted to see what others have been shooting.

bns, what do you store your shells in, all your wifes extra purse you bought her so you could go spearing. hehehe. gringrinlaughwhistle sorry man couldnt pass up on that one. on the serious side i dont slug hunt, we use the big guns. 30-06 baby. smirk

I have been using the 2 3/4" winchester partition golds the last few years. Get really good accuracy with them out to 100 yards. I don't like yelling out "Three bucks" everytime I pull the trigger.

I might try Hornady's SST's this year. I need new sights on my slug barrel this year, that is gonna hurt, then have to resight the gun, which will hurt even more.........

Plus yelling out "TWO BUCKS" is way better than yelling out 3 or 4 bucks........

Seriously, I shoot the cheapest ones I can find. Which is normally 2 3/4" Winchesters. They have dropped plenty of deer for me over the years.

I understand some slugs are much better than others. Since I'm a tight wad I have a hard time shelling out big coin for slugs.

Brenneke Rottweils (sp?) for me. Been shooting them for a good 8 years now. Very accurate and has killing power at long distances. Last year I paced out the buck I shot and came up with 145yds. Nicest 8pt I've ever shot and used a 3" Brenneke Rottweil.

They're a little more expensive at around $8/box, but they're worth it IMO.

Like boilerguy, the rest of my relatives shoot the Winchesters, Federals or Remingtons (hollow points) at like $2.00/box and they have all shot some dandy nice deer over the years.

Brenneke Rottweils (sp?) for me. Been shooting them for a good 8 years now. Very accurate and has killing power at long distances. Last year I paced out the buck I shot and came up with 145yds. Nicest 8pt I've ever shot and used a 3" Brenneke Rottweil.

They're a little more expensive at around $8/box, but they're worth it IMO.

Like boilerguy, the rest of my relatives shoot the Winchesters, Federals or Remingtons (hollow points) at like $2.00/box and they have all shot some dandy nice deer over the years.

When I use a shot gun, I use Brenneke's as well.

My gun shoots K-O Brenneke slugs the best. They're cheap, too. Something like $2 a box.

Just using the factory barrel they're pretty accurate out to 65 or 70 yards with a scope, plenty for the area I hunt

Hornady's SST's are the best that I have used. I have recovered 3 bullets and they had perfect expantion and have also had almost 100% weight retention. The other thing that I would mention is that the three deer that I have shot have not taken another step. They all dropped in their tracks.

Gander Mtn, Cabela's, really anywhere has them. I am going to pick them up today. You have to shoot them out of a rifled barrel, they are a sabot round and will not perform out of a smooth barrel. If you are shooting a smooth barrel you cannot use a sabot because it would be like shooting a knuckleball because the sabot would not be able to spin the bullet.

Koonie,

I usually hunt down by Houston, MN and the last thing you want is the deer running down hill when the only access is at the top of the hill. I shoot through the rear edge of the shoulder. This usually hits the heart, spine or just the pure shock of the slug knocks them down.

I have found two slugs in the opposite shoulder. One went through the shoulder blade and was completely intact. I also found my cousin's slug through sitting in the middle of the lungs. It had gone through the shoulder, spine and then broke a few ribs and ended up in the lungs.

The only bad experience we had with Hornady's SST's is one of the smaller does my cousin shot when right between the ribs, hitting both lungs and dropping it in its tracks. The problem is that when we got up to the deer we could not find an entry or exit hole. I have never seen that, especially with a slug. We thought the deer died from being scared. When we skinned it we found eraser size holes that had all but closed up. If this was a monster buck that took off running, I don't think the blood trail would have lead us very far.

Was just kinda curious. Usually see them running off 50 yards or so and then tipping over. Haven't seen too many drop in their tracks unless they were hit in the spine.

What's the speed of the sst slugs? I don't have the figures in front of me. Seems like I remember they are very fast and it creates a lot of shock to the deer as well.

May have to try them out of the Ithaca this fall.

Koonie,

The SST have 2000 ft/sec. and very very accurate out of my Ithica barrel on my Nova.

I have never had a deer run off...EVER. I have shot 13 deer and never once had one move more than 6 ft from the point of impact. From 8 pt bucks to 200 lbs. does. I just have never had one run. I even shot a doe at 125 yards with my muzzleloader and it dropped in its tracks. It was a heart shot that hit the front left shoulder. Call that shot a bit lucky. I think that it also helps that other than the one long range muzzleloader shot, I have not had to shoot over 70 yards. It doesn't hurt that the 3 guns that I use are a 12ga, 7mm Rem Mag and a 45cal muzzleloader. I also only shoot at what I can clearly see and place my shot where I want to. I do shoot quite a bit so I know what shots I can make. Knowing your ballistics also helps. I know that with the calibers and the bullets that I use, I can place it a bit higher than I do with my bow and a little more forward, often hitting the shoulder, heart, spin or just creating enough trama to kill the deer instantly. It has never failed. I have taken 13 shots and killed 13 deer. I am not trying to brag, but practice and knowing your weapon goes a long way for a quick and humane kill.

Koonie,

The SST have 2000 ft/sec. and very very accurate out of my Ithica barrel on my Nova.

I have never had a deer run off...EVER. I have shot 13 deer and never once had one move more than 6 ft from the point of impact. From 8 pt bucks to 200 lbs. does. I just have never had one run. I even shot a doe at 125 yards with my muzzleloader and it dropped in its tracks. It was a heart shot that hit the front left shoulder. Call that shot a bit lucky. I think that it also helps that other than the one long range muzzleloader shot, I have not had to shoot over 70 yards. It doesn't hurt that the 3 guns that I use are a 12ga, 7mm Rem Mag and a 45cal muzzleloader. I also only shoot at what I can clearly see and place my shot

where I want to. I do shoot quite a bit so I know what shots I can make. Knowing your ballistics also helps. I know that with the calibers and the bullets that I use, I can place it a bit higher than I do with my bow and a little more forward, often hitting the shoulder, heart, spin or just creating enough trama to kill the deer instantly. It has never failed. I have taken 13 shots and killed 13 deer. I am not trying to brag, but practice and knowing your weapon goes a long way for a quick and humane kill.

I couldn't agree more about the last sentence you wrote!

Very much in agreement about knowing your limitations and those of the weapon and load you are using.

I was thinking about getting a fully rifled barrel for my 20ga. this year. The sst slugs will be on my list of sabots to try.

I guess I can't complain about how well the old sluggers shot out of my smoothbore slug barrel but I wouldn't mind trying something different.