• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Sway Bar Links...Any Advice For A Do It Yourself Job

I am replacing the swaybar links on my 97 F-150 4x4. I was able to find a pair of them at the local auto value store for $22. I couldn't resist as a dealer quoted them at over $50 per side plus another $100 easily in labor. I am curious now that I have the parts and am a putzer what type of challenge I am in for. It does not look to difficult to do. I have a hydraulic 1/2 ton floor jack so can lift up the truck, and a huge socket set, and WD-40. What else should I need to get the job done? Has anyone else done a similar procedure and has advice/tutorial to give?

Thanks In Advance! (Trying to save a little dough in these spendy times)

If they are both all the way off, the hardest part of the job is done, after that just assemble both sides at the same time, then tighten both sides after both sides are together. You really shouldnt need to jack the truck up, other then to gain access!

Very simple, should only take minutes. Just put them back together as you took them apart. I would support truck from the frame.

What did the parts store give you? Did it include nuts, rubber and sleeves?

If you jack it up you want both sides up equally and you will want to jack under the control arms. jacking up by the frame will make the alignment of the sway bar diagonal to the lower control arm which will make install a lot more difficult! It will be easier to do with the vehicle not on jacks. If one wheel is off the ground it will load the sway bar making the install more difficult also.

Its usually easier to cut them off. A saws all will make quick work of them.

Make sure you follow the advice above. Get both sides assembled before tightening them down!

It was quick and easy! I had it done in 30 mins. The passenger side was the easiest as the sway bar link was actually broken off (which is why I had creaking and groaning problems to begin with), but made it more difficult to take off because I had nothing to put a wrench to on the top. Took a vice grip to it and got it rather quickly. Thanks for all the help! No more creaking and groaning!