• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perplexing...

Fever

Got one for ya all. Last night league fishing on a small 400 acre lake in Wright co. for the second time this summer. One month ago we fished it and had 12 - 2 man teams (12 boats). 1st plase was 11 lb 12 oz (3bass), 2nd was 10 lb 9oz (3bass), 3rd was 10 lb 4oz,(3bass), 4th was 9lb 14 oz, (3bass), 5th- 9 lb 2 oz, and my parter and I got 6th with 7 lb 14 oz with 3 fish.... on down the line to the 12th place team.... Anyway to the point. Last night out of 12 teams only three boats caught fish (not mine) 1st plase was 11 lbs 3 oz with three fish, second was 4 lbs with two fish, and third was 1 lb 13 oz with 1 fish.... Woah what a difference four weeks makes. Lake was very very green with slime all over surface and weed growth was severly affected. Almost non existant submerged weeds. (all dead or dying). Lake also is infested with a super high Cormerant population. (thousands of them on this small lake)... What do you all think ? Weird that 9 boats (18 guys can get skunked putting a combined total of 54 fishing hours in. The whole thing has me stumped as I threw just about everything out there.... STRANGE.

Thats fishing amazing how it changes from day to day or week to week in your case. but thats why I like it! it keeps you on your toes and always working to get better, learning new tricks and watching other people.

craig, Well in this league people don't really like to share information. It bothers me to no end that some of these guys are like that but they are. One guy did say he had luck using topwater frogs but I'm not sure if I can believe him. Getting any type of information is tough in this league. It is the one thing I don't like about it. It seems unlikely that he did have success on frogs as the lake was very very green and slimy but I guess you never know.

I would probally believe them, pea soup changes everything in almost every lake. When that happens this time of year everything gets tough. I have alway's found topwater my first choice. I believe a fish can see commotion on the service better then any where else. Second of all when you fish topwater you really stir up the top algae, don't know if this makes it a better approace, but it happens. Only other option I go at is dead sticking a jig with a lot of added scent and then shake the [PoorWordUsage] out of it and let it sit again. Any way just some thoughts, who's know's what happend?

Fever,

What lake were you on? I have fished all them lakes, just curious. If you dont want to mention it here, shoot me a email.

Im really suprised that people to share information out. Its not like your going to go back there and steel there spots and fish the same thing. I usta fish a league out of hutch, and there would be times where we go to a lake that is highly populated with fish, and only 1-3 boats would catch 1-4 fish, and win the night. I have seen it a number of times. Its weird, but does happen.

I agree completely. A league where guys can't be honest and open about sharing techniques and strategy after a day on the water doesn't seem like much fun from a 3rd person perspective. I gotta say, we are VERY spoiled by the amount of nice folks here on FM. I don't know how many times I wave to other boats as I pass by on lakes and they give me the cold shoulder....it's good to know that there's a place where you can have friendly conversation with folks about the sport we all love. wink

As for the algae. It's been choking a lot of my local lakes as well....I resort to topwater baits fished sloooowly as well as senko's wacky and weightless. Good luck!

BnS, sorry it took so long to respond. Been busy with Fantasy football stuff and getting ready for school to start... Anyway, the lake I was talking about was Ann. From extremely hot to extremely cold in less than a month. I hit Waverly just this last tuesday and had some success. No big fish but had a good number of 15's and down. Best luck was on a green Buzz bait. Water there was fairly clear too. League tonight again. Don't know what lake yet... will find out in a couple minutes.