• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pellet stoves

straydog

Hi, I have owned two different pellet stoves and enjoyed them both. I would say most of the ones out there right now all work well, the only thing I would suggest is to get one with the automatic lighting feature. My 1st one didn't and the second one did and it was much nicer to operate without having to manually light it. I would also suggest getting a stove that may have the capability to burn other types of material (eg. corn, sunflower, soybean etc.) Just in case you come across a good deal on some corn or something it would save on buying pellets, sometimes you can get a hold of a farmer or something and get a bunch for a good deal.

At the price of corn and beans right now I dont think you will be burning them...but still probably not a bad idea to have the flexibility of burning other fuels. The other big thing in my opinion is to get one that is easy to clean as you will probably have to do it yourself, as well as most maintenance. Check and see if the seller is willing to do house calls.

I didn't have any trouble with the clean-up or maintenance on the two stoves I had. Keep them clean and they should continue to work well for you. I bought a little 1 or 2 gallon shop vac. for cleaning mine out. I would just let the stove burn out and cool down around the time it needed cleaning and vacumed out the ashes. I also kept a little paint brush handy to sweep out the hard to reach places, then just take the vac outside and dump the ashes. Worked good!