• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New PB *** Pics Added*****

Got my new personal best tonight, a 48" at boatside on a way ugly cast. Backlashed on the cast, took a few minutes to unravle. Reeled in thinking wasted cast no 8 just pulled the bait out of the water, looked down and there she was at my feet. Stuck the rod back in the water started a turn felt weeight and there she was on my bait. Will have pics butneed help to post them.

Thanks to a couple FM members, Chris for the Thorne Bros rod I was using and to Rob Kimm for the copper custom Cowgirl I got her on. Both I aquired at the MN Muskie expo in March.

Congrats!!

Funny how that works with the cast, usually it's more of a taunt and adds insult to injury of a bad cast.

Glad the rod is working well for you! That was an 8' if I recall, but it shows quite well how a longer rod can create speed and make some big fig 8s at your feet.

Hiya -

Congrats on the fish! Very cool story to it too. You do everything right - perfect figure-8 or good hookset, and the fish get off. Goof it all up - backlash, pull the bait out of the water, and get a big one. That's muskie fishing - something weird always happens. I love it.

Send a pic to Esox Angler for our reader's photos!

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Good work! Last fall I took a guy from Des Moines up north for his first muskie adventure. He proceeded to foul up a Believer on his cast. It was all tangled and kind of flopping on the surface on the retrieve, and of course, a muskie smashed it. You just never know. Going to try to get back up to MN Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully some little wrinkle in the weather.

Thanks guys. Soon as I get the pics ( some dummy forgot his camera) I'll get somone to post them.

Rob I'll send them to EA as soon as I can to.

John funny how 2 guys that grew up in the same area with the passions we have never ran into each other. I grew up hunting and fishing Green and Carroll countys. I do miss the Horseshoe Bend deer hunting.

That's awesome! I can also appreciate the honesty on getting her on an ugly cast. Its a good thing you worked the mess out before the fish hit - I can't imagine it would be too easy working a backlash free with a pig on the other end.

Again - congrats on a nice fish.

The pics make it look darker than it was. The lenses I had in my glasses allow me to see into the water up untill dark. It was just a few minutes past sunset when I got her. We are also fishing what called a Blue Water lake, meaning water clarity is verry clear. I'm sure John has fished here before and knows what I mean. Right now on a bad day we have 6 feet visibility. My near 48 I caught Sunday night was 20' away from the boat 5-6 feet down and I saw her hit. Come winter time we sight fish in crystal clear water as deep as the snow cover allows, in most cases you can watch a walleye, gill, perch whatever take your bait at 20'