Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarrod32

A little concerning...

37 posts in this topic

A recent Rasmussen Report poll shows the following:

Should the government require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary?

Yes 47%

No 39%

Not Sure 14%

Should the government require web sites and bloggers that offer political commentary to present opposing viewpoints?

Yes 31%

No 57%

Not Sure 12%

It is actually quite frightening the number of people who want the government to police speech/thought.

By the way, for those who are political junkies (and particularly those who like statistics), the Rasmussen Report HSOforum is quite the fountain of fun info. A quick search will turn it up for you...

That is very unnerving. It's like trying to legislate morality. You can't. If you try, you will fail.

Bob

That is very unnerving. It's like trying to legislate morality. You can't. If you try, you will fail.

Bob

That is what religious based govts do, and look where they are. Or at the very least what is thought of them.

That seams very contradictory to me.....

Force radio to show both views, while letting internet bloggers to do whatever they want...

For me it just shows how some people dont understand the questions they are being asked when being polled.

Resurch and history shows that left wing radio does not work. For some reason talk radio, historicaly, favors more conservative outlooks. 'cco is one of the longest running highest ratted "liberal" stations in the country. In the same breath MN has two of the highest ratted "conservative" radio stations in the country, one on the am, and one on the FM. Radio rattings drop when both views are expressed.....

Isn't there a movement, if not a bill, that the liberals are pushing so that there is equal time for each party on the radio/TV? Cripes, they've already got the TV market covered, at least leave the radio people alone!

It's called the Fairness Doctrine. Here's a snip about what's currently being proposed. (emphasis mine) And I agree, it's a bad deal.

Legislation currently is before Congress that would reinstate a federal communications policy known as the "fairness doctrine."

The legislation, entitled the "Fairness in Broadcasting Act of 1993," is sponsored in the Senate (S. 333) by Ernest Hollings, the South Carolina Democrat, and in the House (H.R. 1985) by Bill Hefner, the North Carolina Democrat.

It would codify a 1949 Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulation that once required broadcasters to "afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views of public importance."

The fairness doctrine was overturned by the FCC in 1987. The FCC discarded the rule because, contrary to its purpose, it failed to encourage the discussion of more controversial issues.

There were also concerns that it was in violation of First Amendment free speech principles. The legislation now before Congress would enshrine the fairness doctrine into law.

Another example of why the approval level of Congress is at an all-time low of 14%. rolleyes.gif

Way to go Pe-lousy! waytogo.gif

Bob

Forget the legislate a Monarchy will solve this. crazy

I cuold not resist.

This is the edit: We almost have one

Well at least Congress has priorties straight once again huh? Crimany, you can't get to work to get a budget, figure out the war, figure out gas pricess, ss, medicare, etc..... but you can get fairness so you get enough freakin' air time. Give me a break.

I can just see it now; you get up on a Saturday morning, turn on your favorite 1/2 hour fishing show and find the last 15 minutes dedicated to listening to PETA.

15 minutes on how to catch fish, followed by 15 minutes telling you how evil you are for doing it. crazy

If we begin to legislate this sort of thing, isn't that a violation of the 1st amendment? This is another example of our government sticking its nose into the private affairs of us citizens. Baby step....baby step....baby step...b....I tell you, it's only a matter of time.

Bob

I can just see it now; you get up on a Saturday morning, turn on your favorite 1/2 hour fishing show and find the last 15 minutes dedicated to listening to PETA.

15 minutes on how to catch fish, followed by 15 minutes telling you how evil you are for doing it. crazy

No. its being done to go after conservative talk radio. its no secret why the dem leadership wants to muzzle talk radio. when it first was being tossed around in 1993, it was called the "hush rush" bill. i dont think it will return, though. i dont see it having that widespread support in congress. i think it was dan rather who called it a tax on controversy.

Quote:
No. its being done to go after conservative talk radio. its no secret why the dem leadership wants to muzzle talk radio. when it first was being tossed around in 1993, it was called the "hush rush" bill. i dont think it will return, though. i dont see it having that widespread support in congress. i think it was dan rather who called it a tax on controversy.

How did we get from a poll in which the majority wanted the government to install "equal time" provisions on TV and radio to a Democratic push to muzzle talk radio? Did the Dems somehow buy or influence the Rasmussen poll?

Here's the poll. Remember? The poll?

Should the government require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary?

Yes 47%

No 39%

Not Sure 14%

Paranoia! the losing party is spooked,and rightfully so.

I should add the far right seem to be paranoid of everything,cept what they want,which is well far right.

stcatfish -

Why do you think the poll question was asked? Because of the demo's muzzle bill.

The two subjects are not mutually exclusive.

Paranoia! the losing party is spooked,and rightfully so.

I should add the far right seem to be paranoid of everything,cept what they want,which is well far right.

the fairness doctrine has been used by both parties to intimidate. kennedy, LBJ, Nixon.

it is a dinosaur that should be extinct forever. i dont think government should dictate what people can read or watch or hear. i dont think that the government should demand that the major networks give up their fawning 24/7 coverage of obama. i just simply turn off the TV. you should try that

yes, i do get paranoid when government tries to regulate political speech. or is that too"far right" for you??

and if you dont like conservative talk radio, there are two knobs you can use...the on/off knob and the station changing knob and you dont even need a government program to do it. ROFL

plus, i dont believe it will come back. last year there was a vote in congress and the only ones voting for it were the far far left wing democrats. it went down hard

Another example of why the approval level of Congress is at an all-time low of 14%. rolleyes.gif

I believe there is a bill in congress to permenantly ban the "fairness doctrine". San Fran Nan wont let it out of committee.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT

I believe there is a bill in congress to permenantly ban the "fairness doctrine". San Fran Nan wont let it out of committee.

because she knows it will pass. just like the offshore drilling bill. back to the poll. i think the results of the poll are more related to the one sided coverage in the press for obama and not so much conservative talk radio. in that same article, it shows 55% believe media bias is a bigger threat than lobbyists and that a majority believe that the press is trying to help obama win. still, you dont want government determining fairness in reporting. and for our friends on the left side of the political spectrum who look at the fairness doctrine as a great way to stick it to people like limbaugh, hannity, ect.ect. be careful what you wish for

you dont want government determining fairness in reporting. and for our friends on the left side of the political spectrum who look at the fairness doctrine as a great way to stick it to people like limbaugh, hannity, ect.ect. be careful what you wish for

I agree 100 percent.

Dems shouldn't worry about conservative talk radio anyway, nor should Repubs worry about liberal talk radio. Neither has much impact on the political balance in this country. It's mostly a place for preaching to the choir and railing at the other side.

There still are fairly fixed percentages of folks who always vote Dem or always vote Repub, and neither is enough to win a national election. It's the swing vote that wins those elections, and IMO talk radio doesn't impact that.

steve...enjoying your book. i laughed, i cried, i was kept at the edge of my seat, ect ect.

seriously, its informative and it may just be the catylyst i need for my excuse to head up to ely

Hah! LOL! So far no one has told me they cried over a how-to fishing book, though I've heard many have found it useful. gringrin

[Note from admin: Please use the "Notify" link in a post if you see what you consider a post that violates forum policy. Don't post it in a thread please.]