• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck Boat Suggestions

I have been hunting out of an old Alumacraft Ducker for years. It's perfect for the type of hunting I do in thick wild rice flats. Its small, low profile, light, stable, durable and maneuverable. My son has started hunting and I am looking for something similar to the Ducker for him. I haven't been impressed with the small fiberglass boats - they are heavier and not as durable. Anyone know of any duck boats currently made like the old Alumacraft ducker? Any suggestions?

A boat that floats is a great boat for duckin you can always tailor it the way you want. I will never hunt outta a boat that is shorter than 14' all boats are the same until you make unique to fit your style of hunting. I have enough decoys to fill most garages so I need the room and depth for the big lakes. you would prolly laugh at my spread but it works really good on not so good days. I have passion for having a spread that I can move and tailor to what the ducks tell me to do. the first flocks short me I can move a bunch here and there. if you cant make your spread suck ducks down you dont have enough or it just dont look right to them.

whats wrong with 5 doz mallards 5 doz white ducks and a hundred honker floaters and a few gads and widgeons mixed in oh I forgot 4-5 robos kickin too.

Ive got a Lowe 10 ft jon and its awsome. I will admit that it feels a bit tippy but in reallity its not that bad and I try not to shoot out of it. its mostly for getting to the spots on skinny water so we can stand in the water with chestwaders.

me and my bro had a twenty five horse outboard and after a couple waterpumps we had to go to a scavenger 18hp miss the speed of the outboard but we will always get thier no matter the depth of the water.

If you are interested in a lite boat you could try the hybrid. You could do a search on google for it. You have to build it but from what I have read it is a awesome small water manuverable boat for one guy. Also from what I have read it only costs about $150-$200 depending on how you build it. Good luck...Just a suggestion.

Ryan

Maybe it is the Carsten's you mentioned in the first post, but we have two Puddlers and a Pintail, I gotta say that these small and lightwieght glass boats are awesome to hunt out of. I believe they are very simialr in size and shape to your Ducker, but glass. The stand up real well, but not like alum, of course. Easy to fix though if you wear a hole through, but you would have to really abuse it to wear a hole through. Good luck.

After alotta research I picked up a new aluma craft 10ft jon last year for hunting bigger slews and little water, it seems stable to me compared to some of the older jon's Ive hunted out of because its wider and moves good with a trolling motor on the back but use oars mostly, sometimes I wish I had a 12 ft and may end up with one eventually but for now this is good, even have a fasgrass/conduit blind on it.

All,

Thanks for the input. Looks like I got it narrowed:

1. Mudduck (thanks Crusty Old Swede - didn't know these existed and in our backyard - I'm going to check into these).

2. Carstens - People seem to like these

3. 10' jon boat - may also be good - price and availability may make it the best deal

Posting this thread was more informative than my internet searches.

Carstens are expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. I have owned mine for 3 years and love it. It is very stable, especialy with the stabilizer poles pushed into the muck. This boat just cuts through the shallowest of water. Just my 2 cents......

FWIW, I picked up a Carstens Pintail for $300 on C-list, and had a buddy do some light glass work, so a total of $375 got us a like new Pintail (about $1100 or so at Cabelas). I also got both Puddlers direct from the factory for "quite cheap" as seconds. I believe Otter has seconds as well at times, as that is how I got my Otter Cabin ice shack, again very cheap and basically "new". You do need to pick them up though, as much of the retail cost is in shipping big items.

Good luck,

Quote:
I haven't been impressed with the small fiberglass boats - they are heavier and not as durable.

As a Carsten owner, I would have commented on this thread, but you posted that quote. Glad you are considering a durable fiberglass Carsten now. grin They are durable and function very well, better than aluminum IMO. The old Duckers are nice, but when it comes to overall design and performance the Carsten line is my choice.

I love my carsten I have a small folding chair that I can sit in. works pretty well. I would recommend this boat to anyone it hides verywell its low to the water and can take on water when it gets aittle windy. I also have a 12 and 14 foot john great boats also. I cant comment on Otter boats because I have never sat in one or used one. they look nice and have some dry storage areas. who knows its all preference

How are the carstens rowing through thick rice? Aluminum slides over and through pretty slick.

Slides through everything very well, in my experience. And my weight pushes the capacity on the Puddlers, when all is added in. As for the seating, yes, it is kinda sparse, but I take a Gander seat and strap two boat cushions to the bottom, and it works perfect. (I am talking about the seat that has the backrest you can adjust, but it is all fabric and strap, so essentially it is like a boat cushion with a backrest. My brother just likes one cushion under his.

We also have a bungee rope around the cockpit and to the points, and we have rafia and/or fastgrass mat pieces ziptied to it, and it totally blends in to the surroundings like you would not believe. I bet people might even walk right into it if they did not know it was sitting there. We put out camo painting on it, then the rafia/grass.

Cool thing is we can easily fit two Puddlers (or one Pintail and one Puddler) into the back of a short bed truck (even with a topper) along with 4 dozen+ decoys and guns, and have it all unloaded and sitting in the water in literally about 5 minutes tops. Same with loading it, but that could be said for any boats about the same size.

I just love those boats. Can you tell? smile

I hunt rice lakes a lot and my Pintail cuts through wild rice with little effort. However, I've seen wild rice that was taller than myself and I don't think anything could go through that stuff with little effort.