Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappieAttitude

Painting a plastic canoe?

7 posts in this topic

I have been given an opportunity to get a canoe really cheap, however it is a coleman plastic one. My dilemma is that it is red. My question is this...Is there a way that I would be able to paint it for duck hunting, and what sort of steps do I need to take in order to make the paint stick. Has anyone had any luck doing this before?

Thanks for the help!!

CA

If you lightly sand it and put on a primer coat your primary coat should stick fine. I have done that with numerous aluminum duck boats and the paint lasts for years and I have not used a very high quality pait.

we have a red coleman and before getting our duck boat and another aluminum canoe we considered painting it for duck hunting...ultimately decided it was more trouble than it was worth figuring we'd have to repaint it every year or two because paint doesn't stick to plastic well, especially when you're rubbing the boat against rocks and sandbars, etc. If you're just gonna set decoys with it you can use it as-is and then get a big roll of camo netting and cover it up while you're hunting. We did that for a couple years with good success.

Its always funner to do projects like this instead of just putting a net over it. did a aluminum cnanoe a few years ago sanded it primed it painted it with a wagner power painter it has not lost ne color yet.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I have painted a few duck boats and aluminum canoes, but have never attempted to try it on plastic. I do have a lot of the avery fast grass mats that I can throw ontop of us, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way for concealment. Plus I would rather have a camo'd up canoe on the top of my rig instead of a bright red beacon.

CA

sand with medium grit sanding sponge and use a good primmer then camo it up should work just fine

I haven't painted any thing as large as a canoe but Krylon Fusion has worked well on smaller plastic items. It is formulated for plastic surfaces.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Their, there. I was.  Not overly excited by anything I saw. Did get to shoot the Gearhead bow and was fairly impressed. Some uniqueness to this bow, and completely reversible right to left so dealers should like that as far as reduced inventory they must carry.  And the lightest crossbow out there. The new Halon shoots extremely well but like its predecessor just too heavy for my taste.  The Bowtech Reign felt pretty good, but again nothing special.  Everyone makes a roto molded cooler, trail camera, and broadhead nowdays. Liked the cast aluminum tree stands from Rivers Edge at a better price point than others.  Hawk is making some neat treestands and accessories. Goldtip was doing a demo bending their arrows vs other brands and was quite amazing how much farther theirs would bend before breaking, and how much their arrow recovered (would not take a set) after bending vs the other brands. I might switch just because of the durability and straightness factor. Got to hold the new world record Tennessee non-typ.  That's a lot of horn.
    • Therefore, if there is no point in making a point, that makes it a moot post to make a point that there is no point. so I'd like to point out that I find this entire dialogue pointless.    Sillytown has run amuck. 
    • Ayup. They asked me to take his place, but I can't stand Rawlings.    http://www.gasmonkeygarage.com/yes-aaron-the-bearded-wonder-is-leaving-gas-monkey-garage/
    • That does look like a fun day!
    • What? This can't be. Aaron's the real car building brains of this show. Richard is just the clown. Together they made it work. Apart?
    • It's catch-22.   The point is that there is no point.
    • Historical recreation of Robert Byrd's post election party.  
    • Bobby: I am currently a mechanical designer for HVAC/Plumbing/Fire Sprinkler systems... Although i am just using my two year degree and would prefer something more in management since i have a bachelors in operations management. Yes i have started using Indeed, just seems like a lot of "recruiters" post on those sites and not the actual company something about that just bothers me, although i have been going to different company websites to see if they are hiring.    Chasin: Thanks for the response although i get your point of view and I do enjoy fishing/hunting/being outside and all the above. There is limited time for all of that. We are just in the beginning stages of our children.  I noticed that up here the "Vibe" & "Pace" is much slower than the cities.  The big thing is family like some have said 4 hours isnt too far although when your kids only get to see there family 1-3 times a year its hard! That is the main motion for moving back never did we think we would with our first son although once these twins came it was a large decision that we wanted to be able to see family more.  As far as school etc my wife is a teacher and knows what she likes to see in a school district. we currently reside in a  town of 3000 people so we are in a very small school district along with many other things. Do we like it Yes, although things could change!  Ultimately we would raise our kids near family and HOPEFULLY be able to afford a cabin and then retire there at some point... Out kids are young and we are not that old so we have some time for that though!   Del:  Thanks, Unless you have land you will have a crazy neighbor in every neighborhood. 
    • Trump likes Putin. Putin likes Iran.
  • Our Sponsors