• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting a plastic canoe?

I have been given an opportunity to get a canoe really cheap, however it is a coleman plastic one. My dilemma is that it is red. My question is this...Is there a way that I would be able to paint it for duck hunting, and what sort of steps do I need to take in order to make the paint stick. Has anyone had any luck doing this before?

Thanks for the help!!

CA

If you lightly sand it and put on a primer coat your primary coat should stick fine. I have done that with numerous aluminum duck boats and the paint lasts for years and I have not used a very high quality pait.

we have a red coleman and before getting our duck boat and another aluminum canoe we considered painting it for duck hunting...ultimately decided it was more trouble than it was worth figuring we'd have to repaint it every year or two because paint doesn't stick to plastic well, especially when you're rubbing the boat against rocks and sandbars, etc. If you're just gonna set decoys with it you can use it as-is and then get a big roll of camo netting and cover it up while you're hunting. We did that for a couple years with good success.

Its always funner to do projects like this instead of just putting a net over it. did a aluminum cnanoe a few years ago sanded it primed it painted it with a wagner power painter it has not lost ne color yet.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I have painted a few duck boats and aluminum canoes, but have never attempted to try it on plastic. I do have a lot of the avery fast grass mats that I can throw ontop of us, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way for concealment. Plus I would rather have a camo'd up canoe on the top of my rig instead of a bright red beacon.

CA