• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing water scum from boat and motor?

PDOGG

Does anybody have a decent method for getting the white water scum off the water line on a boat and motor? I have tried 2 differant soaps and windex now to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

If it is really bad you can use CLR but make sure to rinse it off cause it can take off your paint. The way I like to clean my motor is to wash it with vinegar and then give it a soapy wash and rinse. I actually will wash my entire boat that way and you can't believe how much better it looks. By the way I have a aluminum boat and I don't know what it would do to the jelcoat on a glass boat.

It's a glass boat with the gel coat. I will try the vinegar idea I already use that on the carpet it's good on getting the fish smell out! Will CLR and Works eat at the finish?

I second Marine-Man suggestion. The Works (in the bottle not spray) is the best. It will not harm your finish but be sure to rinse it off well when done. Also don't do it on a concrete slab, it will stain it (actually it will clean it, but will look like a stain...of clean)

I have had great luck this year with the Easy on, Easy off Instant Hull Cleaner. I seen it Fleet Farm in a white and blue bottle.

I have had it like 3 or 4 years, but never used. Have been using degreaser and pressure washer. I used it on my boat this last month and it took off all of the river stains and such. It has that sulfur smell to it and I would use gloves.

I also put it into a spray bottle and diluted it just a little. This works awesome on aluminum stuff and the boat motor. Spray it on and let it sit, pressure wash off. I also spray it on my alum. rims on my truck a couple times while cleaning boat and they look the best they have for many years now.

For the boat I pour it on a big sponge, wipe on and pressure wash off.

I wish I had used last year. Instead I was brushing degreaser on and not really getting any where.

Good luck!

Thank's for all the help guys! I think I'll give vinegar a try since I should have some of that at home then I'll go from there. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Were did you pick this up? I took a quick run through the marine dept. at fleet farm a few days back and didn't find anything. Maybe i need to ask or look in a differant area?

I have a line up of lime removers you wouldn;t beleive. tryed every one of them to get the lime deposits off a used boat I bought, none worked. I am thinking of sanding the lime deposits off and repainting. It sounds too me like a lot of work.

I got the Captain Munch at Bay Lake Marine in their service department. I can not be certain of the name although I know it is close. I had my boat at Koronis for a week and it was thick with lime deposits after only a week. I washed the boat at lest five times with various products with no result, this worked great. When I talked to the boat service dept they cautioned against using CLR thinking it would be caustic to the finish. Do a google search, you should find it.

Toilet bowl cleaner works wonders on fiberglass. Ace hardware brand is the cheapest we can get around here and it does an amazing job. The trick is to let it do the work, just wipe it on the boat and leave it sit 10 minutes or until you see that the stain is gone, hose it off and you are done. People in the marina have seen us using this on the boats and were amazed at the results, better than all the commercial products and lots cheaper. If you can't find Ace Hardware brand, Sno-Bowl works just as well.

Star-Bright is the name brand of the stuff I use.

It does have some acid in it though, but wax boat a couple times a year and it should be fine.

When I removed the scum from my boat, it was very, very thick. River spring time scum/foam/sludge!~

Hands down wonderfoam to remove the the water line and deposits and restore to keep it looking good. I've been using it for a number of years, it works and it does zero harm to your finish.