Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Clinton told to cast Obama as un-American

45 posts in this topic

Report: Clinton told to cast Obama as un-American

By The Associated Press – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton's top campaign strategist advised her to cast presidential rival Barack Obama as having questionable "roots to basic American values and culture" and use the theme to counter the image that his background is diverse and multicultural.

"I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values," Mark Penn wrote in a March 2007 memo to Clinton.

Clinton did not take Penn's advice, revealed by a report in the September issue of The Atlantic magazine.

The article says Clinton's campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination went from front-runner status to failure for a number of reasons, from badly managed money to blistering warfare between advisers. Clinton, the candidate who said she was ready to lead on Day One of her administration, did little to quell the infighting.

Clinton grew angry during a conference call with her senior aides about how to recover from her loss in the Iowa caucuses. She found herself doing most of the post-mortem, to near-silence on the other end of the line.

"This has been a very instructive call, talking to myself," Clinton snapped, and hung up, the magazine reported.

Mostly, the disputes were over whether to go negative against Obama, a half-black, Harvard-trained lawyer with a gift for soaring rhetoric and big themes.

Penn advised going negative.

Obama's background — he grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii — was a "lack of American roots," Penn wrote. Also a weakness, he added, was the divisive rhetoric of Obama's controversial pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who cursed America during a sermon.

"Won't a single tape of Wright going off on America with Obama sitting there be a game-ender?" Penn wrote in a March 30 memo.

Penn's memos also contained prescient advice. The memo from March 2007 talked about the importance of a key voting bloc he called "the invisible Americans" — women and lower- and middle-class voters.

Those groups helped Clinton beat Obama in key states before she quit the race in June.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
"I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values," Mark Penn wrote in a March 2007 memo to Clinton.

I finally agree with someone from the Hillary camp!!! eeksickgrin

Quote:
Quote:

I finally agree with someone from the Hillary camp!!!

I'm not sure which America you live in, but Obama is the culmination of American values - welcoming of everyone, a melting pot, & someplace where anyone can succeed. What's more American than that?

It's late but thanks for the laugh Max. I do agree that B. Husein Obama is a poster child for todays America but I think we see todays America differently.

I agree with you gunflint I think a lot of us see America differently. But thank God for fishing all is right when fishing.

gunflint, I aim to please. smile

And all is right when fishing until you get chased off the lake by thunder & lightning...one hour before sunset. Although the couple in the canoe was still out with the lightning forking directly overhead. Guess you can't teach common sense...

my pappy and me were talking the other day. we see some similarities between this race and the nixon mcGovern race. i was too young to vote then, didnt get to vote till 1980, but its the same scenario. a new face verses a grumpy one, fawning press coverage for Mcgovern, negative coverage for Nixon, claims by the press that Mcgovern is full of fresh new great ideas, worked up young people, up and down polls, an unpopular war, ect ect

also, i see some similarities to the Bush Dukakis race. press doing the same thing, worked up young people, ect ect. in both cases, the press did everything to tell us how great these candidates were but i guess the voters felt differently. my feeling is if the dems cannot even beat GWB, who can they beat for prez?? i find both candidates this year are a big disappointment

Happened to notice this was your first post cbmarine. Welcome to the site. We look forward to hearing your comments but be forwarned. Some of us can get a little rough sometimes.

Bob

Happened to notice this was your first post cbmarine. Welcome to the site. We look forward to hearing your comments but be forwarned. Some of us can get a little rough sometimes.

Bob

we'll toughen him up

I'm not sure which America you live in, but Obama is the culmination of American values - welcoming of everyone, a melting pot, & someplace where anyone can succeed. What's more American than that?

Just right, Max!

gunflint, you bet many of us see America differently. It's a country that celebrates that diversity of opinion and background. I think most of us can agree that America is a good place to be even if we disagree a lot on how to make it better.

Absolutely. It's the greatest place to be. I tend to believe that that we stifle diversity of opinion and the melting pot thing is history due to lack of assimilation. But that's another topic.

Originally Posted By: Maximum12

Just right, Max!

gunflint, you bet many of us see America differently. It's a country that celebrates that diversity of opinion and background. I think most of us can agree that America is a good place to be even if we disagree a lot on how to make it better.

diddo stfcatfish

Let's see.....how to get everyone to agree with my point of view, think it was their own, and like it. crazy

Bob

Let's see.....how to get everyone to agree with my point of view, think it was their own, and like it. crazy

Bob

Now what fun would it be if we all agreed? gringrin

Quote:
Quote:

I finally agree with someone from the Hillary camp!!!

You missed the point. It has nothing to do with color, schooling anything like that. It's his "Fundamental Believes" that go against what a pres should stand for.

You missed the point. It has nothing to do with color, schooling anything like that. It's his "Fundamental Believes" that go against what a pres should stand for.

It's those fundamental beliefs that will lead millions of people to vote for him. If he's elected, it will be by the will of the people, and the will of the people is one big thing a president should stand for.

FWIW, I think the Clinton adviser was right on. If she'd have gone negative and painted him as unrepresentative of America, in particular using the ad with the silly preacher and Obama together, it would have knocked him down enough for Clinton to win the primary. Same old negative tactics we see all the time. If you can make your opponent look bad enough, you look better and better in comparison. Kudos to her she didn't do it, but like her or not, she's proven herself a far tougher customer than Obama has.

Now, will McCain successfully seize upon Obama's inexperience and the fact that he's not from "mainstream America," whatever mainstream America is supposed to be? He's trying, but so far he hasn't managed it. Plenty of time to go for assassination through advertising, though. I don't want to turn on the TV with all that [PoorWordUsage] heating up.

I can see where everyone is coming from. My problem with the guy is who he surrounds himself with. All the way up to his wife with her "hating on America" rant. You have to have those same types of beliefs if you are hanging around with that type people.

The America I live in thinks it welcomes everyone and is a melting pot but historically has discriminated against every immigrant group that has ever come here. After a few generations they become part of the fabric of the country but that comes after they assimilate.

You have to have those same types of beliefs if you are hanging around with that type people.

No, you don't, but that is exactly the brush of assumption and innuendo politicians continue to paint their opponents with to make them look bad.

I have friends with some beliefs I really disagree with, but they are still my friends. My wife and I disagree on some very basic things, but she is still my wife, and I'd mightily resent it if someone assumed I believe the same things as anyone else close to me just because they are a friend, relative, wife or pastor.

Well said, stfcatfish.

Sandmann, don't buy in to the echo-machine. Like stf, I have some friends who make Putin look like a leotard-wearing ballerina, & some others who don't believe you or I should ever eat meat & that the U.S. is a big, mean, racist, ugly bully. All the time. Every day.

So what am I? Fascist or commie? (don't answer that)

Point is, I like these people, sometimes in spite of their views that I find idiotic and/or offensive. But at heart they're good people. Just misguided. But don't judge me by them!

I think we would be looking at a different nominee if those tapes of his pastor had surfaced before Iowa.

The O-man, Barack Hussein Obama, is an eloquently tailored empty

suit. No resume, no accomplishments, no experience, no original

ideas, no understanding of how the economy works, no understanding

of how the world works, nothing but abstract empty

rhetoric devoid of real substance.

He has no real identity. He is half-white, which he rejects. The

rest of him is mostly Arab, which he hides but is disclosed by his

non-African Arabic surname and his Arabic first and middle names

as a way to triply proclaim his Arabic parentage to people in

Kenya . Only a small part of him is African Black from his Luo

grandmother, which he pretends he is exclusively.

What he isn't, not a genetic drop of, is 'African-American,' the

descendant of enslaved Africans brought to America chained in

slave ships. He hasn't a single ancestor who was a slave. Instead,

his Arab ancestors were slave owners. Slave-trading was the main

Arab business in East Africa for centuries until the British ended it.

Let that sink in: Obama is not the descendant of slaves, he is

the descendant of slave owners. Thus he makes the perfect Liberal Messiah.

It's something Hillary doesn't understand - how some complete

neophyte came out of the blue and stole the Dem nomination from

her. Obamamania is beyond politics and reason. It is a true

religious cult, whose adherents reject Christianity yet still

believe in Original Sin, transferring it from the evil of being

human to the evil of being white.

Thus Obama has become the white liberals' Christ, offering

absolution from the Sin of Being White. There is no reason or

logic behind it, no faults or flaws of his can diminish it, no

arguments Hillary could make of any kind can be effective against

it. The absurdity of Hypocrisy Clothed In Human Flesh being their

Savior is all the more cause for liberals to worship him: Credo

quia absurdum, I believe it because it is absurd.

Thank heavens that the voting majority of Americans remain

Christian and are in no desperate need of a phony savior.

His candidacy is ridiculous and should not be taken seriously by

any thinking American.

Not writen by me, but kind of sums up what I believe.

Point is, I like these people, sometimes in spite of their views that I find idiotic and/or offensive. But at heart they're good people. Just misguided. But don't judge me by them!

Well said Max. We must have the same friends. wink

their views that I find idiotic and/or offensive. But at heart they're good people. Just misguided.

I agree, all my friends that don't think as I do are misguided also laugh

Kidd, it came from the Accociated Press, not a blog.

I have friends I don't agree with and don't always agree with my wife. Here's the big difference though, I'M NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!! You might not want poeple around you spewing how bad America is and that you don't like it and all the other junk that comes out of their grills.

Chode, good post, I like that.