• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canning season

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my wife would shoot me if I did corn that way.

The whole idea is the fresh flavor during the winter months.

Trust me on this as I have been called THE CORN KING.

Peel your corn and clean. Cut off the edges, so all you have is corn and the cob. Use large boiling pot with strainer. Bring water to a boil. Drop in or set in 3 or 4 ears depending on the size on the pot. Set timer for 2 minutes. Remove after 2 minutes and have 2 tubs of ice water ready. If you a 2 sinker you are set. Buy a couple of bags of ice, and get that water cold. Take out of hot pot and put them in the ice water right away, turning them often. Meanwhile bring the water back to a boil and repeat. Take the corn out of the ice water after a couple of minutes and put them into a second ice bath. This will finish the cooling down process. You want the corn cold b-4 cutting. Use a large cake pan to cut off and collect the corn. Bag it up as you wish and freeze. When you go to grab a bag in the winter, put a little water in the pan and take the corn out of the bag and cook for 5 minutes. A little butter and ya baby you have great tasting corn on the cob flavor in January. Some people put a little sugar in the bag with the corn b-4 freezing. I have tried it and I thought it covered some of the flavor of the corn. Like I said I usally do 30-35 pints each year and I have corn right thru May or the first part of June.

G.C.

Harvey after being married to her for going on 22 years, I asked the question a few years back, why not let it cool by its self. The answer. It locks in the flavor better and you can keep the process moving. I guess it all depends on how much your doing.

Oh and by the way cooking them for more than 5 minutes most of the flavor is in the water, that is why you blanch them for only 2 minutes. I do as I am told, as she is the expert.

G.C.

hey gary, i didnt realize that our wife had you trained that well. i didnt see that when we met. grinshocked was i fortuneate that she let you go to the gdp to meet ya or did you get her in a weak moment? laughwink

Sorry I run the show,(she does not read this) but since my wife is from St Cloud and a somewhat farmers daughter., there family did a lot of canning, I don't rock that part of the ship. She is the boss when it comes to canning. She knows, no questions asked. I tried to change early on but learned very quickly who the boss is in this situation.

G.C.

Quote:
Sorry I run the show,(she does not read this)
I'm glad you put that disclaimer in there gary. I'll be sure to give her the Fishing Minnesota address you accidentally forget to get for her if we all meet up at Highbanks sometime? smirksmirkwinklaughlaugh

Thanks for all the canning advice guys! I'd love to get some pickles canned. I've never done it before but I guess I'll have a helping hand anyway right?

my wife sue and i cook meals together alot, especially if we grill which is often. she will cook if i am busy on other things. she pretty much always helps with the cleaning of the canning stuff, albiet with a bit of an attitude.

I am planning on doing about 6-8 dozen ears this weekend, and I will schuck every ear. She will do the prep work, and then I try to get in the way and help cool down the corn b-4 cutting. I label the bags and she bags them. It is a good system. Not much attitude after these many years of doing it. (canning that is).

G.C.

I eat it all winter and spring. I bring a few bags up for the fall and winter fishing trips to the cabin with the boys.I also bring them to the family fuctions such as Thanksgiving, and so on. I also freeze beans but corn is my # 1 choice. Last year did 35 pints of corn and had 3 left this summer.Did 15 pints of beans and used them all up. Never have to buy corn or beans during the winter.

G.C.