• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canning season

Well gals, today I cooked up and froze 4 dozen ears of corn. Peas are already done and now only the pickles and tomatoes left.

Now I can probably go do a little more hunting and fishing as my honey do list is getting close to done.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well gals, today I cooked up and froze 4 dozen ears of corn. Peas are already done and now only the pickles and tomatoes left.

Now I can probably go do a little more hunting and fishing as my honey do list is getting close to done.

No hunting until you get all my canning done, I want pickled beets, stewed tomatoes, peaches, blueberry jam, strawberry jam, and pickles.

well, so far i have canned 42 qts of pickles, some garlic dill some hot pickles, you know for bloody marys, blanched 2 bread bags full of green beans 8 stalks of celery half a bag of green peppers. lets see things left to do yet is salsa,soup mix, stewed tomatoes and cabbage into sourkraut. i think thats all. smilesleep

Quote:

What's your secret Harvey? My honey-do list doesn't ever seem to get any shorter. It seems the more I get done on that list the more it grows.

Bob

I love canning. Used to can beans, pickles (dill and sweet) made grape, strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry jam,(strawberries,blackberries, and blueberries were wild from our mountain - only once, did a rattle snake chase us away) grape juice, blueberry juice, blackberry juice. My first year I had NO IDEA how many beans you could get off one bush, and I had 4 long rows of them. and corn and melons (cows ate my melons and racoons ate my corn) they did save me some. Dont forget the carrots, potato's and the best ever GIANT Beefsteak Tomatos, ate alot of fried green tomatos.

i enjoy it also. it can get a little crazy doing this time of year. my issue now is getting my stuff to come in at the same time. my peppers are going crazy tomatoes slow and the jalepenos are slow also. need maters for salsa so gotta wait.

BobT

I spend a couple days every week working for a few hours working on this list. It does come to a end but that is only until something new comes up.

If you just keep saying yes honey, it may end before the hunting season and fall fishing.

I wish you lots of luck with this.

Last year I did 35 pints of corn and 15 pints of beans. This year I think we shall cut it back a little.

Hey Glenn, I will take some salsa when its ready........

Do you have names for your salsa. My brother in law names his depending on intensity.....

G.C.

I am new to canning so.....

I just bought a foodsaver attachment for canning. I've used it and it gets a great seal on it. Does this work the same? I know that part of the canning process is to boil, to get product up to temps which kills all the bad stuff. If I boil my salsa, would this work?

hoggs222

It is not the same so be careful. I found this info and it is the way we always made our pickles. Garyc I think that Harvey is the corn guy but I should learn because nothing better then fresh corn when there is snow on the ground.

Pickling info

Canning with the hot water bath is a simple process: cleaned, sterilized (boiled) jars are filled with (often) hot high-acid food. The jar rim is wiped clean. A hot, boiled new lid is placed on the jar. And a clean ring is screwed firmly onto the jar. The filled jars are then placed carefully in the boiling water bath of the canning kettle and settled into an individual place on the wire rack. When filled, the water level needs to be one to two inches above the top of the tallest jars. The cover is put on the kettle and it is allowed to return to a full rolling boil, at which time the processing time is begun.

At the end of the processing time each jar is carefully lifted out and placed on dry folded towels where sealing will occur as the jar cools. Usually you can hear the loud, musical ping as each jar seals. (I’ve noticed that my wide-mouth jars usually seal first). Leave the jars alone until they are cool. Don’t wipe, poke or move them, or you may end up with an incomplete seal. And do not screw the rings tighter thinking it will “help” the jar to seal. Tightness doesn’t equal good sealing. It happens due to the vacuum caused by the processing.

I think our vinegar to water ratio was 1 to 4.

I cook the corn just like you would for eating corn on the cob. Once out of the water, I will cut the kernels off the cob and then place a meal in a zip lock bag or you could use a vacuum sealer. Its as good as fresh corn when you take it out of the freezer and heat it up.

Nothing like fresh corn in the middle of winter.

hogg222 here is a recipe that was very close to ours but they use a different method for sealing. We did not use grape leaves and we added peppercorns.

Spicy Dill Pickles - Canning Recipe

15 lbs small pickling cucumbers

12-16 sterilized wide mouth jars, lids, and rings

For the brine

6 quarts water

2 quarts apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 cups pickling salt

For the bottom of the jars

24 grape leaves (2 per jar)

24 fresh garlic cloves, peeled (2-3 per jar)

48 slices fresh jalapeno peppers (4-5 per jar, use more or less to adjust spiciness)

1 1/2 teaspoons alum (1/8 tsp per jar)

12 heads dill weed (1 head per jar)

In a large stock pot bring brine to a full boil.

Put listed ingredients in the bottom of each sterile jar. Pack tightly with cucumbers- it is important to pack tightly as they will shrink, and fill jar to the neck to leave headroom.

Pour hot brine into each jar and let stand 5-10 minutes (I do this 3 jars at a time).

After the jars have brined for 5-10 mins, ONE JAR AT A TIME, pour the brine into a small pot and bring to a full boil, and pour back over the previously brined pickles.

Immediately wipe the rim and place the lid and ring and screw down tightly.

Place on a thick clean towel, and cover to seal overnight.

Note: these are fresh-pack pickles and do not require water bathing. If some of the jars do not seal over night, repeat step #4 with a new lid. If you continue to have problems with sealing, you might have some pickles sticking up too far into the headroom, or you may waterbath them, but they won't taste as fresh.

I have smoked a large porkbut and what we did not eat I put in jars and seal and freeze with no problem. I also make my own spaghetti sauce 12 to 14 quarts at a time and I freeze them and eat them through out the year with no problems just make sure you leave some room at the top of the jar to allow for expansion.The sauce will taste just as fresh as the day you make it laugh