• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State Patrol hits jackpot at BIR

IFallsRon

BAXTER - The State Patrol conducted the usual extra patrols during the recent NightCAP saturation during the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals at Brainerd International Raceway this past weekend.

Troopers reported stopping more than 333 vehicles, issuing more than 72 citations and arresting at least 14 people.

Charges included 12 DWI arrests; seven charges of driving after cancellation, revocation or suspension; one drug-related charge; one minor consumption violation; at least one warrant arrest; and at least three no insurance charges.

Other activity included 24 speeding citations, 153 speeding warnings, five citations and 18 warnings for non-seat-belt use, two child restraint violation warnings, three citations and at least 99 warnings for equipment violations and 16 miscellaneous citations and 172 miscellaneous warnings.

dan z, Thats got to be the most assnine statement ever...we should ignore the 12 drunks driving, the 7 without liscence and a drug addict, so they can go drive and kill me, you, our wife and kids...ect. Use your head!

I see your point, why all the sudden .08 for the content. it was always .10 not a big differance except for more money for the state. I would assume the death ratio between seatbelts and drunks is pretty close. maybe Im wrong thier to sorry

dan z, Thats got to be the most assnine statement ever...we should ignore the 12 drunks driving, the 7 without liscence and a drug addict, so they can go drive and kill me, you, our wife and kids...ect. Use your head!

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Yes dan z, the state would have lost federal highway funding if they didn't drop the limit to .08, but .08 is still impaired and shouldn't be on the road even when it was "legal".

"The sheriff's dept in my area was specifically told to target pick-up trucks with NASCAR and other racing stickers for stops and DWI arrests."

Unless you heard this from someone in the sherfiff's dept. yourself, don't post something like this. I live in the brainerd area, know an abundance of officers that work their tail off and are honest as the day is long. Garbage like this that "somebody heard" hurts them and is [PoorWordUsage]! Report facts not hearsay.

"The sheriff's dept in my area was specifically told to target pick-up trucks with NASCAR and other racing stickers for stops and DWI arrests."

Unless you heard this from someone in the sherfiff's dept. yourself, don't post something like this. I live in the brainerd area, know an abundance of officers that work their tail off and are honest as the day is long. Garbage like this that "somebody heard" hurts them and is [PoorWordUsage]! Report facts not hearsay.

One person that works in the office, one person that works in the field. It doesnt get more specific that that.

I dont see how this is dishonest. A very good % of people with NASCAR/local racing stickers on domestic pick-ups with dual outs driving around after dark on the weekend are probably under the influence. They noticed a trend in arrests and capitalized on their success.

Im not saying I agree with profiling like this, but from their standpoint it makes alot of sense. I myself dont believe the govt's standard for being intoxicated while driving is fair.

Good for them!!! I hope they stoped a tragedy from occuring to someone going home from the event and getting injured or killed. Bottom line, they were doing thier job. I can not fault anyone for that.

To comment on the pickups thing.... The police play the percentages. An officer I know well will pull over people with Ice Fishing equipment because he drinks when he fishes so he feels a good percentage of others do as well. We all profile, to givee someone a hard time about it would be silly....

"One person that works in the office, one person that works in the field. It doesnt get more specific that that."

Then this is a dishonest policy. If they have steadfast research that shows something that with the "Nascar" crowd then fine. But, in the absence of such research then they are stereotyping and that gets cops in trouble, or it should. There is a HUGE difference between profiling, research based, and stereotyping, hearsay based; one should be used to get drunk drivers off the road and the other has no place in society.

One person that works in the office, one person that works in the field. It doesnt get more specific that that.

I dont see how this is dishonest. A very good % of people with NASCAR/local racing stickers on domestic pick-ups with dual outs driving around after dark on the weekend are probably under the influence. They noticed a trend in arrests and capitalized on their success.

Im not saying I agree with profiling like this, but from their standpoint it makes alot of sense. I myself dont believe the govt's standard for being intoxicated while driving is fair.

Sledneck

How do you know for a fact that the Sheriff's dept was told this?

The statement that a very good % of people with stickers out driving around is really a stretch. I know many people that go up and don't drink and yes, some do.

I find it hard to believe that the police would talk about this with the public before they did this.

Profiling, I would guess so, if it happenend

Well its not really talking with the public, it was an exchange between a person and the other person. Its not even close to the worse thing Ive heard or seen, just something related to what was being discussed.

If youre a cop driving around at 2am saturday night...who would you most likely stop if you witnessed a buick and a 96 chevy shortbox with loud dual outs and a #3 sticker both speeding?

If youre a cop driving around at 2am saturday night...who would you most likely stop if you witnessed a buick and a 96 chevy shortbox with loud dual outs and a #3 sticker both speeding?

The Buick, old people are funny and I might get a laugh. Don't mess with the 3!

333 vehicles stopped.

517 violations/warnings.

Banner day for the State Patrol.

Aside from the 12 DWI arrests, there were 502 petty nuisances.

Brainerd crime statistics are above the national average for:

Overall crime.

Burglaries.

Aggravated assaults.

Rape.

Larceny/thefts.

Property crimes.

Why can't Minnesota law enforcement concentrate on fighting real crime ??

Guess I better get that #17 sticker off my rear bumper.

Who cares if they profile, the bigger issue is that they need to show cause for pulling over a vehicle. They can't pull you over for having a NASCAR sticker. They can watch you more closely.

Look - I've been to a NASCAR race before and there is a ton of drinking. There was a ton of drinking at Slinger Speedway near where I grew up. I have no problems with the cops watching events more closely just to make sure that the public is safe. They do the same thing after Vikings games and I hope that they continue to keep the roads safe.

I would take Sleds theory with a grain a salt if you know what I mean!

He is the "Stir the Pot master!"

I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who told me and yeah I know all the Cops ..blah blah blah.

I could be really really specific, but I dont want to sell anyone out.

Cops can and will pull over anyone they want. I mean, it always comes down to your words vs. theirs. If they said you crossed the center line, then there isnt much you can do about it, really.

"Cops can and will pull over anyone they want. I mean, it always comes down to your words vs. theirs. If they said you crossed the center line, then there isnt much you can do about it, really.