• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Trolling: how to light up rod tips to see strikes better?

fishermatt

Anybody got a good idea for this? When it's really dark it's hard to see when you have a fish or weeds. Is there a "glow something" that can be taped onto the rods to make them easier to see? I suppose a lantern in the boat would work, but that also attracts a lot of bugs.

Any ideas appreciated.

Those light/battery combos for lighted bobbers work well. I tape 'em to my ice rods for ice season. Same setup as a lighted chem stick, but you can get multiple outings out of one led/battery setup vs the chem sticks.

I have seen a light up system just like the bobbers. this little do dad holds the light and it holds the rod. its made by the lighted bobber company that says 21 times brighter( sorry forgot the name)

I spent $3.29 for 2 feet by 2" of reflective tape, and gave half to my buddy who is going out tonight. I'll test it out tomorrow night.

Thanks Ralph for the great idea. I'm thinking my stern light will provide plenty of light to see the rods well.

Quite a few years ago I started using the lithium battery lights (for lighted bobbers) on my long, 9-10' surf rods when I night fished for salmon. You can see those lights from a long way off! We would have 4 rods spread out along 80 or 100 yards of beach and you could see them all. Like Duffman said, you can get multiple uses out of them. I use black electrical tape to fasten 'em to the tip of my rods. I now use them for night fishing on Lake Michigan for salmon.

The glow sticks come with some rubber and plastic holders for them that will snap on to your rod as well so you dont have to tape over the light at all.

CJAC,

You don't like those boatside strikes in total darkness? It's good for your heart. wink

I fish by feel and do utilize the clicker on a few of my setups. But you know when your getting bit pulling cranks or fishing lighter bobber without any additional light.

I spent $3.29 for 2 feet by 2" of reflective tape, and gave half to my buddy who is going out tonight. I'll test it out tomorrow night.

Thanks Ralph for the great idea. I'm thinking my stern light will provide plenty of light to see the rods well.

If the stern light isn't quite enough light, a headlamp with a red light will light it up like a runway!

Don't trust those glow sticks. They have a shelf life and there is no way to "test" them, granted if you just bought them from a store you're probably OK (can you tell I've had issues with them before).

3M makes a reflective tape, I think it's for trailers.

Thorne Brothers sells glow beads designed for casting at night, I've never tried it but you could rig them to work for your application.

Otherwise, clicker reel, headlamp, latern....

Now you're talkin' davesfriend! I only have the 1 million, but why not have a guy checking off the bow to see what's coming ahead! I think that would even be legal, wouldn't it? Spook to the left, turn to the left. Spook to the right, turn to the right. : - )

Get a handful if LEDs from the nearest electronics store and wire one of them up up to your rod tip with a hearing aid battery. Real cheap solution and works really well and lasts a very long time. I used to do this when fishing from shore for Mississippi Catfish when I was in college.