Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hallejojo

ontario question

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am new to posting on this site. I was thinking about skipping the MN bear season in favor of hunting in Ontario, Canada. I have been given an opportunity to hunt for under a 1000.00. The location is up by Lake Nipigon. I was wondering if anyone else has hunted in the area. If so, how big are the bears and what type of opportunity rates did you have. Also, thinking of hunting towards the end of Sept. I didn't know if this would be too late as the season starts this weekend. Thanks for any info and I enjoy the site.

I forgot to add there is a boat, motor, and bait included in the package. Just wondering experiences and if people thought it was worth it.

There are some good bear opeartors in that area. What is the outfitters name? Then I can maybe help more.

The place is up by Beardsmore and Jellicoe. I believe it is Pasha Lake resorts. The owners seem to be wonderful people from all of the references I have talked with. Do you think going up the end of Sept or first part of Oct would be too late? My dream has always been to get a bear and I don't want to spend the money if my chances are not as good. Thanks.

Hey Rusty,

I would jump at that trip if you are getting everything for under a $1000, price seems to good to pass.

I don't know about the area, but in my area the prime time seems to be between aug. 27- sept. 15.

We seem to get 15-18 days where it is prime.

Oct. seems late, but if you do it - good luck.

Thanks Outfitter,

That's what I've been hearing about when to go. The only problem is my wife is expecting around the first part of Sept. I was told they get their bigger bears towards the end of season, but things aren't as active. If I don't go up this year, I still plan on hunting here in MN. Do you know an estimate of how much a mount would be if I get a bear?

If you are looking for a bear rug, I have seen prices for $140/ft.

If you are looking for something like a should mount it should be around $450.

Check in your local area prices should vary a bit.

Thanks again, that is what I was thinking it might cost. My wife is fine with me going on the trip, but is worried about me spending more money to put a bear on the wall. Thinks it is a waste of money. I am just so happy to be married during the hunting season.

Quote:
but is worried about me spending more money to put a bear on the wall. Thinks it is a waste of money. I am just so happy to be married during the hunting season.

I feel your pain rusty...I feel your pain! grin

For some reason I think my buddy was on to something when his wife and him split up during the golf season. He has golfed more this year than any other year in his life. I wonder if my wife would go for a 3 to 4 month split every year?

Lots of bears in the Jellicoe area, I have hunters that hunted out that way before. They had good hunts, but it wasn't with the same outfit, it doesn't ring a bell anyway. The early to mid Sept is a real good time for numbers of bears and good opportunity at getting to look at different bears and be selective. The Oct hunts are usually not as many bears being seen and more sporatic on the baits, but a real good time to get a monster. Most want the best of both and Oct could leave you with an empty tag or that bruiser you are after.