• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crabapple Tree problems

superbee

Planted a crabapple tree last year and it recently lost all leaves on mmost of the tree. The chutes at the base of the tree are still growing well. Should I trim the chutes off or leave it alone until next season.?

Did the leaves turn yellow or anything? If the leaves were yellow with black spots, its most likely a condition called apple scab. Its a fungal disorder that effects the leaves back in the early spring when they are just popping out.

Its very common and very easy to prevent. Unfortunately, you have to prevent it in the spring with fungicide treatments when the leaves are just popping out. If the tree is small enough you can do it by yourself. Check out a nursery or garden store for info.

With the wet spring we had, I also have this on my crabapple, Power stroke is right, it is a fungus. I took a pic to Noble landscape and she showed me all the trees like mine and low and behold the samething. Next year you hve to spray them and you will be ok.

Thats my problem with Flowering Crabapples. Everyone loves the spring flower, but most varieties have so many disease, fungus and other issues. Last year a bunch of them in my neighborhood defoliated in July.

If your going to buy a new crabapple, make sure you buy a variety this is disease and pest resistant.

Crabapples and other trees get a very similar fungal disorder. The leaves come out fine in the spring stay green and healthy until mid-late summer then all of a sudden they start getting spots, turn yellow and drop off. It looks like October in the yard, but its only August on the calender.

This happens with apples, oaks, ash and a few others. The oaks and ash get anthracnose (not anthrax) but its very similar in its infection.

You won't know if your tree is infected until its too late to treat. To prevent it you need to spray in the spring. Timing is somewhat critical, but easy to do.

Apple Scab treatments were out largest and most most common treatment at the company I worked for.