• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LEAD FREE FISHING SINKERS TO MAKE AT HOME

Perkons

Question

7 answers to this question

The idea is to MEASURE the sand after it has dried. Say: 1/4 cup or 1/2 cut or whatever. Then just use that amount. If the sandsinker is not completely "stuffed" but only 3/4 full, it casts better. The sand has room to move to the very tip of the sinker, making the line stay straight.

I must admit that this "exact oz" business baffles me. I just make a bunch of sandsinkers of all different sizes and styles and choose one that seems to be the right size for the situation.

Then I dip it into water just before casting and cast over the rocks.

One interesting thing I have found is that lead sinkers have an advantage when casting INTO THE WIND but sandsinkers have an advantage when casting WITH THE WIND. Like kites they use the wind to go further. Sometimes the other folks on the jetty have been amazed at how far my kite-sandsinker goes with the wind. One guy said "How did you do that?"

Perkons

Sandsinkers work DIFFERENTLY from lead sinkers and therefore it's kind of impossible to determine a lead-to-sand weight ratio.

Just in general, using a 3 oz. pyramid shaped lead sinker for surf fishing, I can usually get it out beyond where the waves break here in New Jersey. A sandsinker of any weight will only go that far if:

I'm casting WITH a fairly strong wind; and

I dip it into water just before casting which makes it heavier.

The advantage is most when fishing from a jetty because the sandsinkers, especially the long ones that are loosely filled, don't get caught as often. If I pull in fast with an oncoming wave they float over the rocks. If they do get caught they usually wiggle through. And, if it does get caught and snaps off it doesn't pollute the water, hurt the cormorants, or take $$$ out of my wallet in the tackle store.

Perkons

You can also make neutral buoyancy ones out of water balloons grin

JK! Good idea and well worth trying sometime. It is something I've not heard of before. Always fun to learn something new.

You guys fishing for cats in the MN river can just use old tires. From my experience they are native to the water, thus cause no more harm. I can't believe the stuff some people throw in the water!