• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing a Chuck

HarryG

I am attempting to replace a chuck on my dewalt 3/8 Drill. I am having trouble removing the chuck and I don't know if it is left or right hand thread. It is a good drill, so I think it will be worth changing the chuck. Is it worth the effort?

Harry G

Open the jaws, there is probably a set screw located in the bottom. Remove set screw, close jaws on an allen wrench and you should be able to get it off using the allen wrench for leverage.

If you haven't gotten the chuck off yet, YES it is worth the effort. A new chuck will be a fraction of the cost of a new drill. Contact Graingers, they have a huge variety of parts, usually get the parts 1 or maybe 2 days later. The set screw will probablly be reverse threaded, the chuck itself should be standard threads.

Andy