Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Grebe

FluoroCarbon

8 posts in this topic

For any muskie fisherment that care to comment...does Fluoro cut as readily as Mono?

I bought a leader and it was like $6.95 and I thought to myself, "Self, you should tie your own?" I laid hands on some 50# test stuff, but before I start the engine, I wanted some opinions from some truely blooded muskie fishermen.....I've caught a few, but nothing to write home about, so I was just wondering?

I'd go heavier that 50# myself... It would depend on the line you use, make your leader stronger than your line.

I use 65# & 80# braided line..

and

I use 80# & 130# leaders.. unless trolling

Hiya -

After considerable experimenting with Fluoro leader materials, I won't use anything less that #100. Lighter leader cuts too easily and isn't as shock resistant besides. #100 means crimps rather than knots, so there's a little extra equipment to get going, but it's still far cheaper than buying leaders in the long run. A 25 yd spool of #125 TripleFish musky leader is about 25 bucks...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

BF/RK...Thanks fellas, I kinda thought that 50# would be a little to light, but since I know nothing about fluroroCarbon line, what do I know? Could be it takes a chainsaw to cut the stuff....then I would think the 50# would hold a pretty big fish.

Maybe I'll save the 50# for use with bass lures in waters where the occassional muskie is caught.

I seen a replica in the bait shop in Milaca, of a muskie that came out of Mille Lacs....Me thinks I'm going to upgrade my equipment! Come to think of it, to heck with 50# test leaders!

If you're not up for making your own, or lazy like me, a 15" 130# fluoro leader is sold at Thorne Brothers for $4.49.....

I do like the 80# if I'm strictly targeting pike, but the 130# is my leader of choice with just about everything for muskies.

Cjac...Thanks, I guess i best take a trip out there. My son bought me a couple of lures from there, surprised the heck out of me on Monday, when we went out to Tonka.

He got me a Top Raider and a spinner called a Ghost Cloud or something like that? I do know that it is a cool looking lure and I'm going to try my dangdest to catch something on it! Didn't happen on Monday, no runs, no hits, no errors...gonna have to try harder...that isn't a bad thing.

I was using an 80# fluorocarbon leader this past weekend and it certainly seemed to get caught up in the trebles a lot easier. Has this been a problem for others?

I have spools of 40#, 80#, and 200# flourocarbon. I use crimps for all of them. I use 5' 40# leaders for trolling walleyes and they work great. Haven't had a biteoff since I've gone that route. I use a duolock on one end and a single ring on the other (no swivel) when pulling cranks. I use the 80# to build short leaders when pike are lurking, most will have a swivel on one end and a snap lock on the other. For Muskie I use 200# flouro. The rods I use to troll for Muskies have 3' 200# flouro with a single ring on one end and a snap lock on the other. These work great for cranks. If I'm pulling spinners, bucktails, etc I may switch out and use some 3' leaders made with a swivel and a snaplock. For casting I use 12-18" long 200# leaders with a swivel and a snaplock for hardware. I also make similar leaders out of stranded wire and have some with straight wire that I use on my jerkbait rod.