• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard to believe

ssaamm

A couple of weeks ago I got my pocket picked while whacky worming. Two cast later I caught a smallie w/ two worms in its mouth. That I thought was pretty cool. Tonight, I had another strange brush with nature. I was out in the overcast evening casting my horny toad or some other soft plastic surface frog. All of a sudden, a seagull circled overhead and cruised down and picked up my lure. It flew away until it felt the tension on the line and dropped it. I casted out again, and another sea gull came by and picked it up and flew around again. After it flew around the boat, I set the hook, and came up empty handed. I usually only bat about .500 with bass strikes, but I was 0 for 2 against the sea gulls. Anyone else have a similar run-in. Go Twins!! Sam

Never had an issue with seagulls but have had ducks chase my topwaters. Also my brother in law had a loon smash his skitter pop. They are harder to unhook then any fish. Boy was this one MAD. Anyway he got the hook out and the loon was released.

Hiya -

Haha... Dang gulls are dumb. I've had 3 gulls and a loon in my boat. One gull on a jerkbait fishing muskies, 1 on a shad rap fishing smallies, and one that grabbed a jig and minnow out of the air. The gulls weren't too bad to unhook. The loon? Good Lord. It hit a small bucktail, and it took two of us to unhook it. The fact that both of us had a full set of eyes by the time the thing was gone is a miracle. That was one unhappy bird. And loons are bigger than a guy thinks... shocked

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

My brother-in-law hooked a pelican while surf fishing along the east coast while I was with him and that was an adventure. Calmed down once we figured out to cover its eyes.

Had a loon chase us out of Rush Lake on the Whitefish Chain during a tournament because it would not leave our baits alone - kept passing under the boat chasing our offerings.

You know how smallies in particular will throw up whatever they have eaten either right at the boat, in your boat, or for some reason in your livewell if they get put in there? This weekend I caught a smallie that did not throw up the usual crawfish or minnow - it threw up a complete 4" tube!

Prefishing a tournament on Rainy last year, a young eagle picked up my partners topwater and flew off with it. He pulled the lure away cleanly from the bird, but the bird circled back for another attempt. We decided to leave before we had any federal investigation on our docket.

A couple of years ago during a tourney, throwing a Senko along some rushes, had a huge strike, foughtit for a short time till it came up. A muskrat picked up the bait and was not very happy. Needless to say, the line was cut and I moved on quickly.

I hooked a deer that bolted across the river once... she fought good til the line broke smile

Also caught ducks fly fishing, seagulls as well. Never caught a loon though, hope I never do!

I snagged a snapping turtle in the back leg once.

Had to help a loon out of my bait bucket a few years ago as his head got stuck in the door.

And I hooked a bat at night with a husky jerk mid air too.

If dogs count, I hooked a black lab that liked my 4" zara spook. Came right off the bank from behind some bushes after it. Didnt even see the dog until it was it the water. I had to go ashore and find the owner so he could remove the hooks. Not fun there.

I had a bald eagle scream down on a zara spook man he was really flying fast, luckily I was able to jerk the bait away quickly, not sure what I would've been able to do if he got hooked. I also had a blue herron land in the water (floating) and try to grab a chug bug, again that would've been bad.