Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

What's next? Booties

18 posts in this topic

Heard about this on Garage Logic today.

I think it is "The End of the World as We Know it"

Your mother used to warn, “Wipe your feet! Don’t

track it in!”

That was because she didn’t want to have to go

get the mop or vacuum cleaner to clean up the

dirt tracked into the house on your shoes or boots

when you were a child.

Now you may be 60 years old, but you can’t get

away from that reminder – even in the seclusion

of the Hoosier National Forest Hemlock Cliffs and

Two Lakes Loop in southern Indiana.

Along the trails there have suddenly appeared

two of 22 new signs that gently request, “Please brush your boots before entering this

natural area.”

This time the plea does not come from your mother but from a combined initiative of

The Nature Conservancy, The Central Indiana Land Trust, The Sycamore Land Trust, the

Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the United States Forest Service.

And these agencies aren’t worried about mopping or vacuuming up the dirt you track in

– they are interested in saving ecosystems.

The Eastern National Forest Interpretive Association (ENFIA) funded the two signs on

the Hoosier to educate the public on saving native plants and wildlife habitat in our

forests.

We don’t even want to know what you tracked into the house as a kid. But these days

your boots might be carrying two distinct threats to the ecological community – Alliaria

petiolata and Microstegim vinimeum. (And no, neither antibacterial spray nor a dose of

penicillin will help.)

The first – known as Garlic Mustard – was brought to America by settlers as a vitaminrich

herb. Its seeds are dispersed by people and vehicles accidentally, but once

established garlic mustard displaces native forest wildflowers, provides little food for

wildlife, and can be lethal to the West Virginia White butterfly.

The second plant species is commonly called Japanese Stilt Grass. Native to Asia, the

grass was dried and sent all over the world as packing material. Just one of these plants

can produce up to 1,000 seeds which grow in dense patches and can crowd out native

plants and destroy habitat for ground nesting birds.

A few years back, tracking in dirt may have made your mother yell. These days,

tracking mud into the forest could lead to the eventual extinction of entire species of

wild flowers and a butterfly. But the solution may be on the way.

And it’s the same as it was back then – wipe your feet! Mom used to have a mat at the

front door for that purpose. The Hoosier National Forest has followed suit with a pilot

program of strategically placed interpretive signs above rotating brush cylinders that can

eliminate the pesky mustard and grass seeds from the soles of your boots.

I knew even before reading Dtro's post.

Rookie:

“What about when they get to the marsh”

Joe did not like this at all! Then they went on to Joes trip last week and the Mustang cool

I just follow what the DNR tell’s me grin! No matter what GL says whistlegrin

Interesting read. It sounds silly at first but when I think about the information for the reason behind the signs it becomes more serious. I'm sure the other 20 signs out there help explain those 2 signs mentioned

This brings up a question to me, with all these invasive species coming from Asia is there any species from our continent that has adverse effects on their or ecological system. Or is it just they have a better system in place to keep this stuff out.

Soucheray probably thinks ballast water holds no harm either, "Well it's only water for cryin' out loud."

That doesn't even warrant a reply.

Invasive species are "everywhere" because they are, well, invasive. We lack strong controls against invasives because we are a country that values individual freedoms rather than the collective good. It would take stringent controls to stop the spread of a lot of those species, and we like stringent control in the good old U.S. of A. as much as we like a healthy dose of West Nile virus.

If all the agency can do is say "wipe your feet" to help stop the spread of such invasives, that says quite a lot.

And this was an end of the world why?

Don't you get the irony?

Wipe your feet before going into the woods?

Sorry, I thought it was funny.

If all the agency can do is say "wipe your feet" to help stop the spread of such invasives, that says quite a lot.

The agency is doing quite a bit more than saying "wipe your feet" to help stop the spread of invasives:

http://www.fs.fed.us/invasivespecies/index.shtml

Here is one example locally:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/superior/projects/Non-Native.php

I enjoy GL but Joe has really worn his ignorance on his sleeve with this one. He cites one example to sensationalize a small portion of the overall story to feed some of his listeners appetite for being overly critical of anything they may perceive as being "touchy / feely" or "tree hugging."

The signs are a small portion of the overall effort to stop the spread of invasive species that threaten the ecological health of forest, grasslands, lakes, rivers and streams. Like the story indicates, the seeds can be transported as easily as on a persons shoes. People may not realize that. Some simple education may help slow or stop the spread of the plants they are talking about.

I don't hold much merit to commentary on natural resource issues from a guy who was born in St. Paul, graduated from Hill Muarry, attended St. Thomas and became a journalist for the Strib and Pioneer Press. I am not saying that anyone of those things would prevent a person from knowing anything about natural resources. The fact that his major life experience is based on all of that doesn't lend a lot of credibility to his knowledge of natural resources or natural resource management.

Joe should probably stick with political commentary and sports journalism and let those who know something about natural resources and their management tend to those matters. BUT, it is his right, guarnteed by the Constitution, to say whatever he wants even if it means occasionally sounding like an buffoon.

Now hold on. Somebody sent a picture of this into Joe and he commented on it.

He didn't make a point to bring it up and discuss it to no end.

and if you think joking about a sign that says wipe you feet before entering the forest makes you look like a buffoon, well then I'm just as big a buffoon myself.

Joking around about the sign wouldn't make someone sound like a buffoon.

Joe used a small portion without going into more detail of the overall story to mock(hence the "end of the world") the efforts made by the various groups involved. When he gives a story an "end of the world" he hasn't brought it up just to comment on it, he has brought it up to satirize it. That is where I took issue with Joe's handling of the story. He wasn't commenting on the sign, he was taking a jab at what those groups are trying to do in a effort to combat the problem of invasive species.

Like I said, I enjoy Garage Logic. I will agree with what Joe has to say a lot of the time. However, when he starts commentating on natural resources and the management of natural resources he demonstrates what seems to be a certain level of ignorance and misunderstanding from what I have heard him say and his background would indicate he doesn't have a lot of knowledge or experience in the subject.

and if you think joking about a sign that says wipe you feet before entering the forest makes you look like a buffoon, well then I'm just as big a buffoon myself.

Well count me in on the buffoonery because I also think it's rather funny to see a wipe you feet sign before entering a forest.

Now that's not to say I don't agree with trying to eliminate the spreading of invasive species, it's just that I would not expect to see such a sign.

Now hold on. Somebody sent a picture of this into Joe and he commented on it.

He didn't make a point to bring it up and discuss it to no end.

I always thought you said you were Baboon?? shocked I guess I missunderstood. Chalk me up to the buffoon league, I think it's pretty dang funny to see that sign.

I think Joe was really upset at this, much so he moved on to his trip or the horse/animal massaging. I like Joes show and listen every day, but I do not see eye to eye with him all the time either.

Like said before, I think he was just upset with the wording of the sign and how blunt it was, all thought he did made a point of saying “how did the forest survive before this sign”.

I guess I take the show for what it is (good humor), rather than any message they are trying to send. When I started listing to the show years back, at first I did think to my self “who is this buffoon and his little play county/world”, now I get it grin.

Take it, leave it or switch to am950 grin

Kinda reminds me of when the city slicker visited the farm, and was told to put boots on when entering the barn. He replied that we wasn't worried about stepping on anything, and was told that they didn't want him bringing anything from the outside into the clean barn. grin