• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polarized sun glasses question

Cheers

Question

Can any one shed some info on the difference in cost of sun glasses. I can buy a pair of polarized glasses from the corner gas station for 10 bucks , or I can buy a pair from Cabellas for as much as $350. What is the difference ?? Can I see as far into the water with cheap glasses ? I know at work we have to wear safety glasses and they cost around $6 a pair, they have a u.v. rating of 99.9 % how much better can one expect ??I know polarized and U.V. are not the same but I expect cheep glasses and expensive glasses are not much different ? Am I out to lunch on this one ????

That is a great question ... I always assumed that the more expensive ones you were getting better material as mentioned. But figured the real cost diffence was for a "brand" name.

With all the stuff you can find on the Internet, I would think someone has posted a bakeoff comparison for polarized fishing sun glasses. If not, someone should put a suggestion out to Tackle Tour .... just took a quick look on tackle tour, they do review a number of polarized glasses. Don't know if they do a bake off, but at least you can see what to look for in a good pair and sample prices.

The higher end glasses will have a lifetime warranty and clarity of the lens itself is so much better it seems to actually improve your vision. You do not have to spend $340.00 to achieve that but around $100.00 you should get good lens and a lifetime warranty or wait till a Gander moves and pick a pair up at half price like I did. Well worth the money !

I don't know the technical reasons why the higher end glasses may be better than the $20 pair, but I can say that I noticed a huge difference when I went to a pair of Costas this spring from a pair of $20 glasses. Little to no eye strain after a day on the water, and more clarity looking in the water.

What I look for is clarity, color, and distortion free. With a good amber lens you can wear on an overcast day and it'll actually brighten and give more definition. You can find that in some cheap glasses but its rare. When you do find that good cheap glass you can almost guaranty that the frames are ugly. I have a pair that the frames would be fitting for a 70 year old, rich, and exotic tycoon. Still the lens are great.

If you want to look cool and have a good lens and frame you'll pay for it along with the name.

I've gone through many of the cheap glasses you find at the big discount stores and they hazed over the first time I set them lens down on the trucks dash. Not a big loss because the optics were poor to begin with.

I currently have a pair of Fishgillz. They're around 50 bucks and are a pretty good glass.

I do think there is a diif in quality and preformance. What really counts is personal opinion on what works best for you not how much they cost. I have a pair of Maui Jim's and my brothe has a low end pair from Gander he was amazed at the diffferance between the two as far as abiltiy to cut glare and see in the water with the maui jims. I also have a pair of Ray-ban polorized which is what I bought prior to my Maui Jims. I think my brothers Gander glasses work just as well but he on the otherhand finds the ray-bans are better the then the Maui Jims for him or the gander. To add even another comparison my brother in law has costa delmars and he is very happy. He feels that they provide a better fit and better view then any of the above. I think they are better then the ray-bans but still prefer the Maui Jims. So in the end to me its not what they cost but what you are most comfortable with. I do think you can get less expensive brands and they will work. It also depends on how dependednt you are on water visability. To me if I am pulling a spinner in 15-25 ft of water it dont mater. If I am fishing a clear lake looking for structure or fish then it is criticle. Also sunglasses play acritical role in protecting your eyes not only from flying objects but more importanly harmful UV rays. Macualr(sp) degeneration runs in my family so I wear glasses even on cloudy days. Good Luck with you decision. Good Fishing!!

PS. Another reason I am partial to my Maui Jims is the have a very very thin stems (the part from the lens frame to the ear. As a pretty bald man the tan line is hardley noticable un like when I wear other glasses. Just something to consider for my fellow baldys. laugh

There is a difference.

One noticable difference is in lens coatings--both inside and outside the lenses. Some glasses like Maui Jims have an internal lens coating that kills reflections off of your face and eyes which allows you to see past where the reflections would have been.

Other coatings allow light to more easily pass through multiple materials--every change in material from the item you are viewing to your retina affects light transmission. Some coatings make these air to glass transitions "easier".

--Matt

The difference.

Imagine this that polarized glass is like taking sand paper to the glass and scratching/etching the surface of it. Well it's all fine and dandy if the glass is flat and the scratching on it is uniform in one direction. Soo how many sunglass on someone's face is flat? It's not so therefore the more expensive glasses have a better process to curve/wrap that polarization filter on the frame of your eye. And curving that plastic doesn't get you the same results, probably gives you dark and light spots. There you go, $20 plastic lense vs $200+ glass.

prescription polarized sunglasses. Eye wear providers or many of the large name sunglass companies provide them. Oakley does for sure. My eye clinic does too, that is where I got mine. You can even get bifocals.

One thing is for certain, a really nice pair will cause you to be much more mindfull of they're care & where-abouts at ALL times. They are a hot item if you lay them down somewhere. Best to get a lanyard to hang them around your neck & a nice case when ot in use.I buy mediocre ones & keep a pair in the boat, pair in the truck pair in the bike, etc. maybe not the best system, but I don't get too tore up if something happens....& it does from time to time. just my 2 cents.

L2f

One thing is for certain, a really nice pair will cause you to be much more mindfull of they're care & where-abouts at ALL times.

I'll agree with this. I'm much more careful with them now, and I make sure they're in a case when not in use.

I have been in the Optical Field for 20 years and there is a huge difference in all types of lenses & frames. You get what you pay for to a certain point. For example, with Oakleys the lenses are cheap and you are paying for the name. Stick with Polycarbonate lenses VS glass or Plastic. These type of lenses are the safest for impact resistance and UV blockage. Not all Polarized lenses are created equal. Buy what you can afford.