• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding Radio/CD player, How to? (Pics Added)

LEECH21

I recently bought a 2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk. I just purchased a radio/CD player to install.

My question is how hard is it to actually do this? On the back right side of the boat there is an area with a back plastic piece with a hole in the middle(this is where I assume the speaker or radio itself would go). The radio I ordered has 2 speakers. Where would the placement be? Is it just a matter of mounting the receiver and speakers and wiring to the battery? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never wired a CD player before.

Thanks for any help, Leech

Pretty much just a matter of mounting it and getting it power. I put mine in my console. One thing to do is get the water proof mount kit for them. They are inexpensive and pretty well needed. I put on speaker on the outside of my rod storage compartment and the other under my console. I run the speaker wire in the seams of the carpet, just used a (not sharp) edging tool to put it in the seams. If you look on here, Shack just did one and posted how he did it.

I will second the waterproofing issue. they are availible at most boat dealers. If you cant find the stuff try rocking ronnies (sp) here in mankato he does lots of tow boat stereo systems.

Don't forget the antenna as well. Find a good spot for it away from your electronics if possible. They like to soak up the electrical noise.

You should have much trouble installing the radio. The mounting is typically the most work...trying to find a place and then mounting it securely. All you need is a power and ground wire and then your speaker wires. I would assume you should be able to find an open spot in the fuse panel to tap for 12V and there is probably a common spot for all the grounds. If you wish you can just take these two wires right back to the starting battery too.

It looks like there are a lot of wires on the back of the radio, but take the instructions and just deal with each one individually. Take your time and check each wire at least twice before making the connection. Make your power connection last.

You will want to put the radio on a switched circuit, otherwise you may see times when your battery is drawn down from the radio receiving power continuously to keep the clock right and to keep your presets. Also, make sure you use an in line fuse.

marine_man

I have the fish hawk too. There is switch on the far right for accessories.Just run yellow wire to constant power on the fuse block and red wire to the pole that connects to the switch.

I ran 4 speakers in mine, 1 in each back corner facing to the front ( I had to cut these holes) and 1 in each front of the console(dual console) Definately get the plastic box to mount the radio in ,water will drip through the console and fry the radio out .I also wrapped the top and sides of my radio with housewrap tape to keep the water out.( leave bottom and back open for ventilation) After burning out 3 radios in 2 years this radio has been working great for 3 years.

Just realized...are you talking on a tiller model?

A tiller would be a whole different ball game. Good luck with the install. I was lucky on mine. I have a Sportfich full windshield. It had a factory radio, just pull it out plug in the new one then spend four hours customixing the dash because the radio is 3" longer than the factory one. It really helps having a shop teacher as a neighbor!! If you can read this thank a teacher..

You could always just go with one of these, and when it's not in the boat, you could really woo the beach bunnies as you walk around with it propped up on your shoulder

helix-hx4631.jpg

That rubber grommet doesn't look large enough to get a speaker in it without enlarging the hole. Not to say that you couldn't put a speaker there, you just have to make the hole bigger. You will want to put the radio on a switched circuit - whether you use the ACC switch to do that or wire another one in is up to you.

I also don't know if there is enough depth in the panel with the rubber grommet for the stereo - you may have to find another spot for it.

marine_man

That sure was nice of them to put that cover over your fuse box so you have to take the screws out to add wire. First I would use a lite up thingy to figure out what fuse to use that is switched by the switch you choose. That will probably be the only decision you can make. The radio will rpobably only fit in one spot. I don't know where that is though. Make sure you measure the depth of the radio FIRST. Then figure out a out-of-the-way spot that is deep enough. Figure out where to run the wires before you do any cutting. Then you will have to figure out where to cut hole for the speakers and be able to run wires to that location.

I know I haven't given you any deffinate answers, just adding questions for you to answer, that I didn't think before starting my project. I hope this goes well for you..

I guess I never even thought about the depth of the radio. I might have to re-think a location. Thanks for the tips!

By the way....If the black plastic "grommet" isn't nesseccarily there for a speaker...what is Crestliners intention for that piece and built out area?

Thanks again, and any other pointers are always welcome.

By the way....If the black plastic "grommet" isn't nesseccarily there for a speaker...what is Crestliners intention for that piece and built out area?

Looks to me that the black cover is for a transom mount trolling motor wiring/plug? Tiller boats typically have a spot like this on the rear-port.

You can mount a speaker anywhere you like, it's easy to drill holes in the plywood around the boat. Wiring it is the key.

In my boat (console) I built small boxes out of plywood, mounted the speakers to the boxes and screwed the box down under the consoles. I didn't want to drill any added holes into my glass boat. The radio is mounted on top of a platform under the console that was convenient. Everything is removable without any large holes drilled in the boat.