• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Climbing Treestands Opinions

jnorm1984

I am looking to buy a new climber for the upcoming season, right now I have a heavy bulky piece a junk..I may be sold on the lone wolf sit and climb, (so anyone who has used one any input would be great). But I would like to save a couple bucks and not spend 360$. I really would like one that folds flat, but if another brand comes close or is easy to work with I would like to consider it- thanks all

I have a Summit Viper.......absolutly love it! I've had it for at least 6 seasons. Changed the shrink wrap for the cables last season. Ohter than that it's been a great stand. Haven't tried a Lone Wolf so I can't compare it to one but it's less expensive than one. As I hunt a long ways in I sit on stand all day and it's very comfortable...sometimes to comfortable....zzzzz.

TODDY

Another thumbs up here for Summit. I have a Viper and I think it is a great stand. Husband has a Goliath and he loves his too. Plan on getting a couple more before bow season starts, we have nothing bad to say about our's.

fishtrapgirl

I have a Summit Goliath, and it's very easy to use and comfortable, but it's kind of heavy if you have to walk a long ways in carrying that and your bow/gear. That said I suppose any stand is going to get heavy if you're walking a long way.

I just got the Summit Openshot Delux. The Delux version has a swivel up seat that will give more standing/shooting space. I think it's 13# or 15# or something like that. I haven't hunted from it yet, but we'll see in a month or so.

Another thumbs up vote for Summit Viper. Until I tried my buddie's viper I wasn't a fan of climbers at all. I used his one day and decided this is the stand for me! I popped and bought one. Been one of the best purchases I've made to improve my "game". It's very easy to use...lightweight...packs in easy...very comfortable. Last year I was hunting in the morning out of fixed hanger stand and kept seeing deer cross on part of the property...that afternoon I brought my climber out and set up on that trail and whamo...got my deer! I was thinking I probably would not have moved positions if I hadn't had the climber. In a lot of ways its like a portable fish house! Spring for the summit viper or something similar...I don't think you'll regret it at all.

I have a Summit Broadhead/Backpacker and love it. It folds flat and is easy to pack in. It is extremely comfortable and not as pricy of the Long Wolf stands. I have used this stand for proably 6 years now with zero complaints.

I have a lone wolf hanging stand with climbing sticks. The stand is super quiet, easy to pack in, and light. I used to use a climber, but since the sticks are so easy to hang, I decided to switch.

I have a Summit that I'm happy with but last year I tried a friend's Lone Wolf and thought it was a much better stand and worth the extra money. For now I'll stay with the Summit since there's nothing wrong with it but if I have to get another one it'll be the Lone Wolf.

I haven't tried it yet, but I looked at both the Summitt Razor SS & the Lone Wolf Alpha Sit & Climb. I talked to a guy that has had a Summitt & gone to a Lone Wolf & decided I only wanted to do it once, so I forked out the cabbage for the Lone Wolf.

Thanks for the replies guys, Im makin the puchase this weekend- I worked extra hours at work the last couple weeks, gona spring for the lone wolf sit and climb- I think I would prolly regret it if I didnt...Ive bought "cheaper" stuff before (ground blinds, hang on's, guns, arrows you name it) and have always been dissapointed and ended up spending more money than I would have if would have bought top of the line in the first place- Thanks, Joe

I just picked up the Lone Wolf hand climber, and my buddy got the sit and climb. I did a quick climp after I set it up and I am very pleased. I suggest doing a couple of trial runs before hitting the woods. I plan on going way back in some state stuff that doesnt allow anything to be poke/screwed into the tree so I figured I would get a climber. The hand climber is only 12 pounds, packs nice and quiet.

I find myself doing that occasionally...buying something cheaper and then end up spending more money to get what I really wanted in the first place. You've done your research...stuck to your gut as well...so I think you'll be pleased! I purchased a jacket last weekend at cabelas and over the week I realized...hey this isn't what i really wanted...and thought i'm only going to end up a year from now wanting something different. So before i rip the tags off...its going back and I'm going to get the one I was afraid to spring for to begin with.

Good luck with the climber...I think you'll really enjoy using it!

Ok.. so I cracked, I didnt spring for the sit and climb ( by Lone wolf)ended up puchacsing a summit Viper... I sat in both thought about it( not long..) and chose the summit. When getting up high like I do, as high as possible, I feel a lot more comfortable with a full bar in front of me...opinions??

I never wanted the bar, because if you are archery hunting, it can get in way, or at least I thougt it would.

Anyone bowhunt with a bar in front of them? A close in front shot might be hard.

I bought the realtree viper ultra from cabelas on sale for 199. Tried it in the backyard and if I lean forward a little I can shoot the bow without a problem. After a while I'm sure I'll come up with a prochedure to get a shot off in any direction. Comfy lttle things, ain't they cool

You would think that the bar would get in the way, but it really dosent, unless you shoot from a sitting postion then it does, for sure. When I stand the front bar is just below my knees, but it all depends on the distace between the standing and sitting platform--Ive never shot from a sitting postion with a bow from any treestand, I always stand when I hear anything that may be a deer (darn squirrels!) and get as close to the tree as I can with my body, to attempt to eliminate the possiblity of getting skylined---and thats my story, so if you sit when you shoot, forget about the full front bar, otherwise ur g2g..

Thanks for the reply jnorm1984. I also stand all the time, and for some reason, I was thinking the bar was chest high, my bad.

I will have to look at those stands someday, when I need another one.

Swill

I have had the Rivers Edge Gator Jaws for several years, which has an enclosed front & is very heavy too. I've never had it give me trouble with shots, but I have long legs & I'm always hitting the bar with my knees. Therefore I didn't want one that the bar wouldn't swing out of the way.

The other thing I meant to say is that I've shot a few deer with my bow from a sitting position where they got on me too soon & I didn't want to risk standing when I didn't have to. That's next to impossible to do with a bar right in front of you, it's right where the bottom of your bow needs to be. If you practice this a little you'll find it's actually a very easy shot as long as the deer's not behind you.

Last spring I bought the Summit Viper that Cabelas has private labeled. It sure seems comfy but I do shoot sitting down if I'm afraid the movement of standing will get me busted. Probably can't do that with the front bar. last year I used a Loggy Bayou climber that was also very comfy and doesn't have the bar. It is a pain to climb with and a little noisy while climbing though.